"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first AE40

Started by mienaichizu, May 27, 2009, 09:02:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mienaichizu

after 2 years of collecting telephones, I finally got my first AE40
I got it for $28. The phone has a crack at its right side. The rubber gasket at its base is missing. Anyway, since it is kinda rare to find this kind of phone in thrift shops, I bought it. I have not yet tested it if it works.

Dan/Panther

That was one of the first phones I bought.
Too bad shipping is so high to you, or you could get many more great deals.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Congratulations on your AE40.  Is the rust a result of the humid climate where you live?  Has this phone been in your area all of its life?

Gary Goff is the man for replacement gaskets.  They're not that expensive and work great.  The cost may be in the shipping to you.  His e-mail is:

ggoff@telis.org

mienaichizu

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 27, 2009, 10:31:58 AM
That was one of the first phones I bought.
Too bad shipping is so high to you, or you could get many more great deals.
D/P

yup shipping is so high for me, I think I have to tour the whole of the Philippines to look for more phones

mienaichizu

Quote from: Dennis Markham on May 27, 2009, 11:00:36 AM
Congratulations on your AE40.  Is the rust a result of the humid climate where you live?  Has this phone been in your area all of its life?

Gary Goff is the man for replacement gaskets.  They're not that expensive and work great.  The cost may be in the shipping to you.  His e-mail is:

ggoff@telis.org

Thanks Dennis, maybe it is caused by the humid climate, I think this AE40 has been in here all along. Maybe this was once used as a standard phone by our local Telephone Company. AE is very common in here, especially AE80's until late 80's when the telephone company changed their phones to Siemens.
regarding the gasket, I'll try to contact Gary, thanks again!

Dan

I love the "ring" of an AE40. Hope it will fire up for you! Great thrift store find!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

AET

Congrats on such a rare find in your area!!!
- Tom

benhutcherson

Very nice-I'm glad you finally found one.

As I've said many times here before, I'm very partial to the AE40 as that was my first telephone.

Even though it may look rough now, it should clean up fairly well and be functional.

mienaichizu

Quote from: Dan on May 27, 2009, 06:25:55 PM
I love the "ring" of an AE40. Hope it will fire up for you! Great thrift store find!
thanks Dan, well I hope I can get this to ring

mienaichizu

mienaichizu

Quote from: benhutcherson on May 27, 2009, 11:39:56 PM
Very nice-I'm glad you finally found one.

As I've said many times here before, I'm very partial to the AE40 as that was my first telephone.

Even though it may look rough now, it should clean up fairly well and be functional.

thanks Ben, I'm so happy that I finally got one, but first how do I remove the number card retainer ring? bit by bit I'm starting to clean it up

BDM

Congrats. Now, you can use steel wool in the 000 or 0000 range after you strip the lower pan of it's parts. Or even a Brillo pad to clean away that rust. Another item you can use is "Naval Jelly".

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp?catid=13&subid=47&plid=169

Once you get that clean, then move on to the shell/body. Is the crack bad or missing pieces? If not, use the shell. Is the dial free? These are fairly easy dials to clean and lube. Removing the dial ring is simple. Notice the center screw that retains the finger wheel and also a strip of metal. The metal strip is a latch of sorts. The ring has a small tab that slips under this metal strip. You use a small screw driver to move it from under this.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Congrads on the phone, a good addition to the flock.  I don't have anything by AE so eventually I'll have to conjure up something. 

Dennis Markham

Ramil, you can see a diagram of what BDM was telling you here:

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/metaldials.pdf

(Dial Card Removal)

mienaichizu

WOW, everyone is so supportive, thanks everyone, I'm excited to clean this up