News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My Truck

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, April 20, 2016, 08:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Mine had the panel missing.  An ugly sight.  I found a replacement gate on car-part.com.  Your restoration is coming along nicely.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, it looks like the restoration is going along smoothly!

For the longest time, my truck sat outside the body shop without its bed; probably around a month. The manager kept dragging his feet with making progress, saying that 'the guys' preferred working on collision vehicles first, which I don't believe. He's a nice guy, and really seemed enthusiastic about everything when we talked to him, but only made progress when either I or my Dad bugged him about it. Since he initially said it would take around three months back in mid March, I expected it to be done about mid June. It didn't look anywhere near being less than a month from completion.

Last week, he was transferred to a different location closer to where he lived, and the day his replacement arrived, my truck was in the shop; every body panel--except the cab--off the frame. I had the chance to take a look at it today. Every single repair had been completed in less than a week; the bed ready for paint, hood and fenders sandblasted and being prepped for primer, the doors and cab totally stripped down, sanded, and ready for primer.

The new guy assured me that the truck will be totally done by the first week of June. Earlier than expected!!! ;D

I'm really excited to get this guy back on the road! (Not the manager, the truck!) ;)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

TelePlay

That's cool. The new guy probably said to one of the guys "What's that out there?" and when he got the history, put an end to that stall. Probably a liability issue involved with parking it there that long also.

Your story reminded me of a Huey we had in the corner of a hangar which was used to cannibalize parts for the rest of the fleet to keep those birds up and running. Parts were hard to get in that most went to Nam so if a part was needed, it came off that one bird to be replaced when the part actually and eventually did come in.

One day some ranking officer toured the hangar and when it discovered the Huey hadn't been started or flown in over a year, told us to get it up and running in two weeks or loose the aircraft. I'd only been there for two months when that happened but guess what, it flew in less than two weeks. They even found a test pilot willing to take it up on it's post maintenance test flight (aircraft that aren't run for a period of time can develop seal and bearing issues causing not no nice landings with a helicopter (they like to be flown often), nothing worse than a planetary gear failure in the transmission). Amazing how a change in management can get things moving and/or done.

Anyway, only a year late (  :-\ ) but I'll be seeing you on Sunset Drive, soon . . .  Right?

HarrySmith

Quote from: TelePlay on May 19, 2017, 01:48:34 AM

They even found a test pilot willing to take it up on it's post maintenance test flight (aircraft that aren't run for a period of time can develop seal and bearing issues causing not no nice landings with a helicopter (they like to be flown often), nothing worse than a planetary gear failure in the transmission).

Cars are the same way. People will always get really excited to find an old car with really low mileage, thinking it's a great deal. May be a good buy but it will need a lot of work very soon. As with the helicopter seals & gaskets have dried up from not being used and will start leaking once the car is driven. There is a lot of seals and gaskets in a car, engine, transmission, shocks, differential, etc. Also any rubber parts like tires, hoses, belts, weatherstrips, etc will be in the same dried out condition.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WEBellSystemChristian

Great story, John! Yep, it sure sounds like my situation all right!

You will also probably see me driving down Sunset on the weekends this Summer! ;D Just don't confuse my truck for a rusted out Burgundy one; that's an idiot from school... ::)

Harry;

That's the flip side with buying a barn find, both in the phone and car world! Still, I'd prefer replacing seals, bushings, bearings, and gaskets than rotten floorboards, rocker panels, cab corners, cross members, etc... :o I guess my lightly-driven desert truck was the best of both worlds! ;D

My Dad has a ton of pictures on his phone, but here's one that he sent me. Notice how the dyed locking hubs faded again... :'(

There was a freshly repainted Red Camaro or Chevelle in the background. My paint should look that nice pretty soon! ;D
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on May 19, 2017, 08:57:22 PM
You will also probably see me driving down Sunset on the weekends this Summer! ;D Just don't confuse my truck for a rusted out Burgundy one; that's an idiot from school... ::)

Christian, it would be pretty hard not to notice you in your truck on Sunset summer . . .  ;) 

It's a one of a kind that will be impossible to miss, or confuse with ANY other vehicle . . .   ::)

WEBellSystemChristian

More updates!

Yesterday, we went over there to drop off some parts, and saw everything in fresh primer!
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

When we went there today, the bed, tailgate, and cowl were all in Dark Gray, ready for the two tone Silver. I had my doubts, but it's looking pretty freakin' fantastic at this point! You can't even tell that the bedsides were patched!
Christian Petterson

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

It's looking sweet! Can't wait it to be finished.

WEBellSystemChristian

Thanks guys!

Believe me, I can't wait for it either! It should be done either sometime next week or early the week after.
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Lots of progress!!

The doors, hood, fenders, and cab are all painted Dark Gray now. The new manager seems a lot more enthusiastic about this than the old manager. He realized that I wanted this to look completely factory, so he kept all of the original factory stickers and labels in the door jambs, even some that had no use at all, but were original nonetheless. He also noticed that the wheel arches on the bed were slightly rippled (even though I couldn't see it) so he made the staff re-do those areas so they were perfect.

He also told us specifically that when he was transferred there, he was frustrated to see my truck sitting outside when there were fresh accident vehicles getting red-carpet treatment. He wanted my truck done a lot more than the other guy did!

The next step is getting the body panels attached to the truck so they can do the two-tone Silver. After that...full re-assembly! ;D
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

The end is near... ;D ;D ;D

The body shop manager told me they are projecting my truck to be finished and out the door on Friday!!!

Today, they finished assembling the body panels after painting the silver two tone. They got the roof two tone section dead-on, but the silver stripe is about an inch or two lower than factory. From the factory, the bottom inch of the tailgate was painted the primary color, but the tailgate is completely silver now other than the top bulge. It actually looks better this way, and follows the lines of the truck better. Plus, you see more silver from the back. As far as factory looks: I'm sure I'm the only person who will ever notice it, but it still looks great this way. I just wish I wasn't so finicky with details like that! :-\

The paint makes the truck look far better than brand new. I can't see anything here that makes this paint job seem--even remotely--like a local bodyshop did it. When they painted the primary dark gray, they wetsanded it, polished it, wetsanded it again, and then applied clearcoat. That's how much attention they pay to detail.

The current manager there didn't know that the former manager and I discussed rustproofing inside the fenders and doors. I'm glad we mentioned it today...they told us that asking in another day would have probably resulted in getting the rustproofing done in six times as long, as all the interior pieces would most likely be in by then, and they would need to be taken out again!

Holy cow, does it look beautiful...
Christian Petterson

TelePlay

Sweet!

Was that you I saw driving down Sunset yesterday?

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: TelePlay on July 02, 2017, 12:05:26 PM
Sweet!

Was that you I saw driving down Sunset yesterday?

Did you see me in one of my parents' trucks?

As a matter of fact, I was on Sunset yesterday.

Did you see a red/orange Raptor? My truck isn't quite done yet, but it's almost there!
Christian Petterson