Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I am looking for some info on this telephone. Many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

That looks like an early GPO 706.

Larry

AE_Collector

Check here, I was just asking the difference between 706 and the newer 746.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19790.0

A beauty in RED!

Terry

Doug Rose

thanks Guys....looks like a WE500 soft plastic color. I have no idea on Foreign phones, when was it made and would it's value be like a soft plastic 500 set..Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

There is probably a date on the bottom along with other information.  It is very unlikely worth as much as a soft plastic WE phone in North America.  The market among collectors for these here seems to be somewhat limited.  I doubt that it would get more than $30-$40 in auction in the US.

Larry

Doug Rose

Thx Larry....it's a keeper, just looking for some background on it. Love the red with matching finger wheel....Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

It certainly is stylish.  I have a red 746, but I prefer the look of the 706.  I would guess that yours was made in the mid 1960s.

Larry

ThePillenwerfer

Definitely a 706, and one which hasn't been refurbished. 

In 1968 letters went out of use and after that as 706s were refurbished they were fitted with plain rings around the dials and the figures were put below the holes in black on an 'Antique Silver' background.  At the same time the coloured dials were replaced with clear ones, see below.  Of course various non-standard combinations of parts were fitted either during their service lives or at the hands of latter-day dealers/collectors.

The button marked "PRESS" would be Recall button.  Pressing that connected one leg of the line to earth.  This was needed on switchboards and Party (Shared Service) lines.  Sometimes an On/Off switch was fitted in the same place for the bell.

The 746 came out in 1967 and a very few had lettered rings (some modern dealers fit them to give a more 'vintage' look) but they all had clear dials with figures below the holes from new.

Doug Rose

Thanks for all the info. The press button would be for a ground start line? Like on an old PBX, you had to bring ground across the line before you got dial tone. ....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

If it's old enough, it could have Diakon plastics, but, looking at the picture it's looking more like a later ABS phone (Diakon didn't last long, it was quite brittle and fragile), other than that, not much to go on with just the one pic... :)

Doug Rose

I will post more pics when I receive it....thanks for all the info....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received the phone today in great shape. How do I open it? I only see toe screws in the cradle. Dial card is off center, how do I remove the plastic cover? Really a sharp looking phone.  I appreciate your help....many thx....Doug
Kidphone

ThePillenwerfer

Take the two screws out by the cradle and the body will lift forward over the dial.

As for the protector, on the coloured wheels you can put a screw-driver under it at the right-hand side, between 1 and 0, and twist it.  Failing that, or if you're worried about damaging it, you can use the technique that has to be used the later clear finger wheels, and reproduction coloured ones: get a strip of sticky tape, fold to over glue-to-glue but leaving the ends loose and stick these to the protector — like and up-side-down T — and pull on the double part.

These are the official GPO instructions:—

Removal of label protector
The label protector must not be released by levering at the edge. The edge consists of a thin lip which will break easily. Warning notices are being included in the dials bought under the first contracts, and all staff who will be concerned with the dials should be instructed in the correct method of removal of the label protector. These warning notices should be removed when the dial centre label is fitted.

The easiest method of removal is to use an Extractor No. 29 which is a rubber suction disk with a finger grip. This item [Small Stores, Rate Book Section 5 (T-B)] should be requisitioned from the Supplies Dept. and issued from Section Stock one to each installation and maintenance officer concerned. Unit of issue from the Supplies Dept. is 50. The Extractor No. 29 can be released from the label Protector by lifting one edge of the rubber with the finger nail.

An alternative method of removing the label protector is to insert a Screwdriver No. 1 radially between the finger plate and the number ring at the 13 o'clock position on the dial. The screwdriver will then enter a slot in the finger plate and, by turning the screwdriver beneath the pip in a thin metal plate which is under the label protector, the protector will be ejected. Care must be taken to ensure that the end of the screwdriver is under the metal plate and not between the plate and the label protector. It is advisable to hold two fingers over the protector to restrain it during ejection. It is always advisable when replacing the protector to locate it so that its three Dips are clear of the slot provided for the screwdriver, otherwise subsequent removal might prove difficult.

Doug Rose

Excellent advice, I will give it a try. It is such a cool phone!...many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

Another way to take the shell off if you're not feeling too confident is to remove the fingerwheel, this will remove the restriction that makes it harder to pop the shell off, but once you do it a few time, you find it easier to remove the shell with the fingerwheel in place... :)