News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 295 MD 663 What is it?

Started by tallguy58, September 20, 2017, 11:12:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

A friend brought me a desk stand hooked up to this subset. It's a NE 295 stamped MD663.
Can anyone tell me what this model was used for?

I can't get the bells to work but got tone and it received calls. The Siemens dial is corroded and stuck.
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

Can you show the rest of the diagram?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

TelePlay

Interesting and if the box is wired per the diagram, the ringer circuit is not complete, maybe. Where are you attaching the line cord? Which terminals?

poplar1

Someone placed a short wire from L1 to B. Might be better to move that wire from L1 to L2, then connect the telephone line to L1 and L2.

In the diagram, there is nothing connected to the G terminal.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

In the world of "Northern Electric" the prefix letters "MD" mean "Manufacturing Deviation".      The number 663 as best I can tell from other telephones and related equipment, was a number assigned to the device which was manufactured to the particular customer's specifications.  It may have been made for a private company, the above ground offices of a mining company or a railway somewhere, who knows.     A Bell Canada technician gave me me the information, originally, and I've run across these oddities several times.      I've attached a picture of the round base schematic of a Northern desk stand that most collectors would immediately think was an "N50-AL".     But if you look at the very bottom of the schematic, it's been re-classified as an "MD-704" Desk Stand.   A collector friend of mine who has the set, sent me the picture of the base schematic.    I have one or two subscriber sets with the "MD" prefix, and an odd ball 3 digit number assigned to them.

Jeff Lamb

tallguy58

Quote from: poplar1 on September 21, 2017, 03:27:05 PM
Someone placed a short wire from L1 to B. Might be better to move that wire from L1 to L2, then connect the telephone line to L1 and L2.

Thanks poplar, that did the trick. Everything works now.
Cheers........Bill