News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AT&T Payphone Plus

Started by NikeTelephone, April 24, 2017, 03:54:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NikeTelephone

Heres my Private Payphone Plus, Got the manual off line, Says it Take 24 Volts, 

" Make sure the color of each small wire attached to a labeled connector on the
power supply board corresponds to the same color of wire and label on the
terminal block of the power transformer:
• red and yellow wires to CT
- green wire to L1
- black wire to L2 "

Im guessing this is a Special Power supply, wondering if i could use a 24 volt with just plus and minus, not sure where to hook up the wires...

Thanks!
Phones, Who Knew! :)

timmerk

Is the official transformer (courtesy of Mike's Vintage Telephones). It's a "24v AC center tapped capable of 830 ma (20VA) output." (courtesy of Ken Layton) It needs to be center tapped to have the correct outputs for the power supply.

Attached is the power supply and transformer of one of my Plus payphones.

Happen to get the CoinSoft and CoinRate software? I've been patiently waiting on a member of these forums to upload, but in the mean time, I thought I'd ask since I've been searching for 8+ years for this software.

timmerk

Oh, also, as Jim (Payphone Installer) mentioned: replace the AT&T handset if it has an uninsulated handset cable through the middle. The cable in the AT&T handset always comes in contact over time with the conductors in the handset and burns out the power supply. This happened on my old high school Private Plus. I repaired the power supply, but the main board was already toast. :( Luckily, I still have two new Private Pluses left.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: NikeTelephone on April 24, 2017, 03:54:59 AM
Heres my Private Payphone Plus, Got the manual off line, Says it Take 24 Volts, 

" Make sure the color of each small wire attached to a labeled connector on the
power supply board corresponds to the same color of wire and label on the
terminal block of the power transformer:
• red and yellow wires to CT
- green wire to L1
- black wire to L2 "

Im guessing this is a Special Power supply, wondering if i could use a 24 volt with just plus and minus, not sure where to hook up the wires...

Thanks!
Most likely not.  Some devices use low voltage AC power from a transformer because they use the AC to derive other voltages or sometimes, to run a time-of-day clock.  A DC supply will not work if they do this.  A 24VAC CT transformer with 20VA rating is the most generic thing.  Does not need to be a wall wart if you are able to make safe input and output connections.  But I think AT&T external modems used similar transformers, so finding a wall wart may not be so difficult.

trainman

My plan was to find a 24v ac ct transformer i can get from most electronic supply hpuses

Rob C.

I recently purchased 2 payphones. One is a BellSouth dumb payphone, and I have that one squared away. The other is an ATT Private payphone Plus, and over the past few months, I could not locate any helpful info on obtaining the software. I am wondering if you could help point me in the right direction?