"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial tone persists while I'm dialing

Started by hugocole, December 05, 2011, 10:37:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugocole

Hi folks

My NE unit (made in Canada) was working but now when I try to dial it the dial tone persists.  To be specific, while the dial is in motion the dial tone is much quieter, but still audible.  Then when the dial comes to rest between digits it is loud again, as though I hadn't started dialing. Hence, no calls go through, it's like the dial is not registering.  When I call my number I can answer on the unit and can hear and be heard.  Any ideas?

Thanks.  So nice to see other rotary enthusiasts out there.

K

AE_Collector

Sounds like the dials pulse springs aren't actually pulsing when dialing. The shunt springs are working to short out the clicking you would otherwise hear but no pulsing. You will have to open it up and possibly post some pictures.

Welcome to the rotary forum, you've come to the right place.

Terry

Phonesrfun

You didn't by chance change over to VoIP, did you?  Some services are not very rotary friendly.

If not, Terry made a good point.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

I guess a good way to prove whether you can make phone calls with dial pulse would be to get dial tone and see if you can make it go away by quickly pulsing the hook switch several times. This would be the same as a dial pulse if your timing is anywhere near correct.

Terry