News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray #11 Paystation

Started by wds, February 26, 2015, 04:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I purchased my first Gray Paystation and it arrived today.  Of course the first thing I want to do is take it apart and see what's inside.  I can't figure out how to remove the box from the back plate.  I removed the two screws from behind the coin box, but the thing won't come apart and I don't see any other screws.  Can someone tell me how to remove the front or back? 
Dave

rdelius

Take out the 2 screws behind the coin door and push the housing upward.There is a lip and tab on the top side of the body of the sets inside behind the coin slots

wds

That did the trick.  I notice the gongs ring much louder than the gongs on a newer 3 slot payphone. 
Dave

rdelius

The gongs should be louder .They has to put out enough sound for the old transmitters to transmit.Modern handset 3 slot sets had the gongs isolated on a rubber isolated bracket.
There was a seperate transmitter on the bracket to transmit the sounds.The telephone co did not like the idea of putting coins in a 2nd paystation and pulling the handset over

wds

I was reading my new copy of Ron's Scrapbook, and there was a section on this style paystation.  The installation instructions say to run a machine screw through the transmitter mounting bracket, through the wood phone, and into the metal bracket so the sound of the coin dropping is transmitted through to the transmitter.  I had a duplicate SC fiddleback that I was going to sell, but now I will use it to mount this paystation to. 
Dave

DavePEI

Occasionally, you will find one of these which has had the transmitter off an operator's headset mounted inside, I suspect a stop gap measure used when separate handsets were put on phones, since the sound couldn't then be transmitted to the phone by conduction. The leads from that transmitter would be hooked up to parallel the phone's transmitter. Mine came with one, which I stripped out to return it to its original design.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

I have seen these on Ebay mounted on phones like the WE 293.  There is no way to screw the mounting bracket directly to the transmitter.  Are these paystations being installed incorrectly to get a quick sale, or are the brackets being attached to the transmitter by some other method?
Dave