"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Trouble Adjusting 302 Ringer Volume

Started by gands-antiques, March 06, 2013, 05:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gands-antiques

Hello,

I'm having a little trouble adjusting the ringers on a 302. I have tried rotating each ringer to every possible position and the ringers still are not very loud.  They seem to work the best with the bias spring placed in the left notch (toward the handset cord).  

I have been told by Forum members in the past that it is best to have the spring in the center position but I'm not sure why the center notch is the best position.  

Is there anything wrong with having the bias spring in a position other than the center position and is there anything else I might try to get a louder ring?

Thanks a lot,
Gary

poplar1

If the spring is in the notch closest to the 101A induction coil, this is the highest tension. Normally, you would use this only if this is the only ringer on your line.

Try the lowest position; however, if you dial other rotary phones, it may have bell tap on this phone. That's why most have recommended the middle position.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

gands-antiques

Thanks...

It's the only rotary phone on my house system and I usually test the rotary phones by dialing the house phone with my cell phone.

Gary

TelePlay

Quote from: gands-antiques on March 06, 2013, 05:02:59 PM
I'm having a little trouble adjusting the ringers on a 302. I have tried rotating each ringer to every possible position and the ringers still are not very loud.  They seem to work the best with the bias spring placed in the left notch (toward the handset cord). 

Ran across a similar ringer issue last week but the solution was unique, or the first I've read about on the forum.

My ringer just wouldn't ring loud regardless of bell placement or position of the tension spring.

Turns out the clapper wire was bent downward ever so slightly but just enough to be resting on the phenolic board holding the coils and the allowing tension spring adjustment. All I had to do is bend the clapper wire up enough to fully clear the phenolic board and the ringer rang out loud and clear.

That was something I never checked or looked for in the past but now know better.

andre_janew

I had a similar problem with the ringer on a 500 phone.  The clapper was resting on one of the bells.  I bent the clapper wire so that it rested a small distance from the bell.  After that, I finally got some volume out of the ringer!