News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 554 Wall Phones

Started by Dan, February 26, 2009, 12:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

I just picked up a nice black one, original in every way. Shell dated 11-23-56, dial 7D, 3-57, all other components 1957. G1 handset smooth and shiny (my first like this).

When were 554's first made? I haven't seen many as old as this one. I would guess soft tenite wall phones are especially rare since they made less of the wall phones.

It ran me $25. Did I overpay? Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

BDM

No you didn't! An early soft plastic in nice shape. Very good ;) I believe they were introduced in 54 or 55. Not completely sure. This is right DMs alley ;D
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Yours is about as early as they get!  Paul F's web site says they were announced in 55', so a 56' one is right there at  the start.  Anyone know if they made 554s in 55'?

Greg G.

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

A while back a member of the ATCA posted the question of who has the oldest 554.  I believe early 1955 was the earliest anyone had.  As a result of that question I started looking through mine.  I was buying them every time I saw one that I thought was soft plastic.  I have one from 1955.  I will get some photos and post it.  It was just hanging on my wall in my work shop area and was on my list of ones to get rid of...but it's not going anywhere.  I believe all the dated parts are the same. 

Just like the 500's, one can become frustrated trying to find one that hasn't had the plastic changed on them or upgraded in some other way.  There are signs to look for.....wide hook, narrow hook, chrome hook brushed aluminum look, one mounting hole on the back, three mounting holes on the back, the volume control levers were originally straight, later ones had two 90 degree bends in them with the word "volume" and an arrow on them.  So there are subtle differences and clues if one is searching eBay for one.  (I'm talking black ones here). 

Dan

Quote from: Brinybay on February 26, 2009, 01:18:16 AM
Got a picture?

Mt wife has a brand new digital camera but gets her photos processed @ Walgreens ::) I truly don't know anything about this, but I am going to read her owners manual and will try to get a pic up.

I have so mant other pictures I want to post. This will be my weekend project, or I will try to get my more computer-savy kids to help me.

Anyway, details--three mounting holes, narrow hook, straight volume lever, big fat cord with 1957 brass connector, and it stinks like a good soft phone should!
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Dan, sounds like you got yourself a good one!

Dan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 26, 2009, 10:44:55 AM
Dan, sounds like you got yourself a good one!
[/quote
Thanks Dennis. Now if I can only restore mine like you can, then, wow, I would be happy. I only waxed it with turtle wax and made the brass bells shine and the brass dial nut shine. But it looks great, not like the PICASA phone pictures you have though, but definately presentable.

I may get the "dowel" out and try to get the cord more pretty, like another forumite did. (heat, then freeze method).

I don't have the guts to sand a tenite shell yet.

Dennis Markham

Thanks Dan for the nice words.  I wouldn't sand it unless you absolutely have to.  Just putting a nice shine on it will make a big difference.

There are those who think that shining the bells is not a good thing.  I understand that point of view as well.  A reader on my blog suggested that they weren't that shiny when they came out of the factory.  But if you like 'em shiny then I would shine 'em up.  I usually do mine that way.  Especially on a phone that has been in the field.  If it's something that hasn't been installed then that's a different story I suppose. 

Hopefully we'll be able to see your phone some time---when you master the digital camera.

Sargeguy

I use my wife's Lortone rock tumbler to polish up my bells and small parts.  The tumbler is filled with steel shot and soapy water.  She uses it on her copper and silver pieces that she makes.  It works well to remove patina and corrosion, and if you leave items in one for 24+ hours it polishes them up nicely.  It is minimally invasive and doesn't remove details like harsher methods.  It even works on Bakelite.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

benhutcherson

Speaking of tumbling:

I've also heard in the past past of tumbling with walnut shells to really shine up small parts. Supposedly, it works really well with a minimal amount of effort.

HobieSport

I boil my gongs (bells) in vinegar for 15-30 minutes, then use dish soap and a non-metalic dish scrubby, let dry, then polish with Novus 2.  Ooo Shiny! :)

Steve

Gotta love the old 554's.

heres one in the old chicago stock exchange in 1962.

If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dan

Finally got a picture to show. It has the thick cord and the narrow switch hook.

http://tinyurl.com/dy5com

There was an Ebay seller selling NOS shells for wall phones and desk sets. I recommend them. I took an ugly beige 554 and converted it to a beautiful turquoise wall phone (see pics upcoming)the kit is a Northern electric.
Another guy talked about getting a northern electric dial plate to fit a western electric dial. It can be done, but it requires cutting one of the three plastic tabs off the NE dial, reglueing it to the WE position, making a trough on the top of the  NE dial plate (a recessed area really) so the WE dial fits, and sanding the area. Luckily it is covered by the finger wheel. It is currently my gameroom phone.

http://tinyurl.com/d6mq55

http://tinyurl.com/cuj2zs