News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Custom Display is DONE!

Started by WesternElectricBen, July 21, 2013, 08:44:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Later note: This was the original post stating the start of the project, scowl down to see the finish product.

Hello,

Having a collection of over a 110 or 120 phones (still small by my standerds) needs to be properly displayed. In the past I have used book shelfs which are nice, and a good start but they quickly fill up and they don't have enough shelfs high, they take up too much room.. And the problem is my "display room" is also my "office" and my bedroom.

So, having at least 20 phones on the floor and phones on other surfaces some not favorable like a night stand or infront of a dresser etc.

Last year having built a iron pipe desk with oak top and blue plastic wanted me to carry on the design to make iron pipe shelfs. The parts are all ordered. I have bought stain and cut the wood with my table saw (inherited) and now all parts are in our garage.

If you look at the first three pictures of my display leaving out many phones, you will notice that this display is necessary. I will later be adding on a wall display to hang up wall phones.

The last two pictures are of what pipes I will be using. When I'm done I will take a picture. These shelfs will hold 3 standerd size phones (302's or 500's in my collection) per 3 ft shelf.

The shelfs will come out from wall 1 ft and go 9 ft across wall. I have put on a wall where no light shines through to make sure they do not get discolored.

Enjoy the photos!

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Well, about two months later, we are 100% done building the shelfs. I cut and painted mounting boards which will be screwed into the studs. Then the shelfs will screw in the boards.

They have turned out really beautifuly. This project is about 800 dollars. Were a single shelf bought at a furnature is about 800 it's self. Sence I designed and built myself I saved about 1600 dollars.

What I really like is the design and wood color matches my custom built desk I built last year too. Very happy over all.

Pictures posted: Not the greatest because of horrible angle etc. x3

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Well! Were finally all done, and I have to say, I am amazed! I am just so happy how well it turned out and how good it makes my room look. Now that I don't have any phones on the ground and cluttering other spaces. I even have a extra shelf and one with a little more room.

Though the shelfs are just about an .5 inch too tall, the mickey mouse telephones don't fit on top but the Snoopy's and Kermit does. It looks great. It even freed up some space for me to display an old radio, adding machine, and a typewriter. And I have to say, it does look great in that wood cabinet.

I will add three board spanning between the two shelfs, but first I have to finish them.

Enjoy the pics:

Ben

southernphoneman

ben very very nice job, you should be proud, Gregg

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: southernphoneman on October 21, 2013, 07:28:07 PM

Thank you, I am very proud!

Ben

AE40FAN

Looks awesome Ben nice Job!  Lovin the red 10 button phone...

HarrySmith

Nice job Ben! Looks great ;D
Instaed of 3 boards between why not lose the table and put in another shelf unit?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE40FAN on October 21, 2013, 07:43:40 PM
Looks awesome Ben nice Job!  Lovin the red 10 button phone...

I do too, sitting next to it is the 500 P/U. Then where the blank spot will be my 1964 10 button.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 21, 2013, 07:57:56 PM
Nice job Ben! Looks great ;D
Instaed of 3 boards between why not lose the table and put in another shelf unit?

Thank you!!

Hehe, well, once I restore more phones, I will need some more shelving. But I really like my custom computer desk that matches...

Ben

tallguy58

Great display.

What would happen if you had all those phones hooked up to a single line? Would the volume drop if you picked up all the receivers at the same time? How many phones can you put on a single line?
Cheers........Bill

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: tallguy58 on October 21, 2013, 08:03:55 PM
Great display.

What would happen if you had all those phones hooked up to a single line? Would the volume drop if you picked up all the receivers at the same time? How many phones can you put on a single line?

Thanks!

To be honest, I really don't know. Though I am tempted to hook up them to my panisonic 616 to use it as a working display. And add extange numbers onto the dial cards.

Ben

Contempra

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 21, 2013, 07:28:50 PM

Ben

Well, now I know who you are Ben = retrovintage  ;) your pics are good and you can be proud of your collection Ben.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Contempra on October 21, 2013, 10:05:17 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on October 21, 2013, 07:28:50 PM

Ben

Well, now I know who you are Ben = retrovintage  ;) your pics are good and you can be proud of your collection Ben.

Thanks, yes, my YouTube channel is RetroVintageItems27.

Ben

Contempra

yes and I have subscribed to your youtube channel... ;)

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Contempra on October 22, 2013, 09:42:10 AM
yes and I have subscribed to your youtube channel... ;)

Oh sure, thanks. Whats yours?

Ben