"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

This AE has to be rare —> 890 Data Set

Started by Pourme, December 31, 2017, 12:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

This caught my attention when I saw it on EBAY. Why would they even produce such a phone?

It has to be rare. I'd be interested in your comments.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232611155324
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Fabius

A non-factory conversion of an AE speakerphone?  Notice the Philips head screws used in the front which I don't think AE would have used in that location on a phone.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Haf

Telephone:
0049-030-55474418
1-415-449-4743
1-604-757-7474

Jim Stettler

I have seen these before. I think it is a real set.
You dial into an automated "order" system. Then you use the TT pad to place your order.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

AE_Collector

AE 890 Data Phone. Built in the 880 Speakerphone case thus maybe that had something to do with the model number being 890. I have that phone in the same Sand Beige colour. The faceplates on these and 880 speakerphones were always chromed Phillips flat head screws.

Terry

paul-f

The 890 was a standard AE product for several years.

WE also made a set that had both rotary and tone dials, plus a card dialer.
  http://www.paul-f.com/weCardDialers.htm#Mods
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Thanks Paul. I hadn't seen the list of colours that 890's were offered in before. Looks to be identical to the 880 speakerphone colours.

Here is my Sand Beige 890. Note the symbols on the very early AE touchcall unit.

And then, one more phone made in the 880 speakerphone case.

Terry

paul-f

Beautiful and interesting phones, Terry.

The 890's dial pad is great!

While we're one-upping on the subject of sets using the 880-type housing, here's a very limited edition AE/Western Union data subset. Watch for more photos and two short articles in the January 2018 Singing Wires.

AE_Collector

Very nice! These are yours?

I've seen the advertisement for the Western Union set but never the real thing! And yours is gray rather than Beige? Maybe you made it Gray as I think you had several gray housing kits?

I think I recall seeing a gold flashed 880 on eBay once...very nice. Are it's good cords painted?

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 31, 2017, 04:48:48 PM
Very nice! These are yours?

I've seen the advertisement for the Western Union set but never the real thing! And yours is gray rather than Beige? Maybe you made it Gray as I think you had several gray housing kits?

I think I recall seeing a gold flashed 880 on eBay once...very nice. Are it's good cords painted?

They are mine. The photo is a shelf of my current display. It wasn't wide enough to include the 890, so it's still in the box.

The WU set is exactly as I received it. I'm still looking for documentation and other sets to compare features.

I suspect the 880's cords are painted gold, but there's no obvious evidence like streaks or drips.

oldguy

I was the 1st one to bid on this phone, hoping it would fly under the radar but the price is getting high.
Gary

Pourme

Benny

AE_Collector

I haven't watched one on eBay for quite a few years but I would say back then typically anywhere from $60 to $100 give or take.

Terry

TelePlay

Quote from: Pourme on January 01, 2018, 07:29:01 PM
Yep!....$51.00 with 2 days to go...

It's in #15 position on CW with 29 watchers. End time might be interesting.

Pourme

Quote from: TelePlay on January 01, 2018, 07:56:19 PM
It's in #15 position on CW with 29 watchers. End time might be interesting.

Our version of Reality TV.... ;)
Benny