News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

VINTAGE WESTERN ELECTRIC BELL SYSTEM L1A EXTERNAL BELL TELEPHONE RINGER

Started by Doug Rose, November 24, 2018, 10:15:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This came on eBay and I immediately bought it. Seller says it was used, but it looks amazing to me. Few marks on the case, but still has the brand new sheen to it. Ring will wake the dead.

I have seen the ringer many times, but I have never seen the HEAVY Case. This is very cool. Dated Jan 1979 inside, almost 40 years old. It's a little new for me, but it is a keeper...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-WESTERN-ELECTRIC-BELL-SYSTEM-L1A-EXTERNAL-BELL-TELEPHONE-RINGER/123499035391?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

Ktownphoneco

Nice catch Doug.     I've never seen that case either.     You may have a rare piece in your possession.   

Jeff

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Doug Rose

I hooked this up in the Phone Room and it blew me away..way too loud. It's loud like for a factory big space loud.

If any one has any info, please let me know....many thx....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

You have the version for outdoor use. Inside, the same L1A ringer was used without the vented housing.

Edit: The housing is actually called a "181A-49 Backboard."
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Butch Harlow

I have one of these as well. It is in my wall phone display. I bought one at a junk shop that had the bracket but no case, so I looked it up, found a BSP on it and searched out a case. Ended up buying a complete one. Mine is in great shape as well. The ring will indeed wake the dead. It has a really cool look to it.
Butch Harlow

Doug Rose

Butch....time for you to posts so,e pics of your collection. I would like to see your displayed....Doug
Kidphone

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 25, 2018, 08:48:52 AM
Butch....time for you to posts so,e pics of your collection. I would like to see your displayed....Doug

I am working that direction, however I have a small apartment and my kid just recently went off to college. I figure I have to wait a year to steal her bedroom, haha! Also, the phones shared the space with up to 4000 Pez dispensers until just recently. I put about 3500 of them in storage for the same reason, no space to display them. But, in the meantime, I will create thread of what I do have displayed. Maybe that way I can catalog the evolution of the whole collection. I am accumulating a significant pile of phones I have nowhere to put, so eventually Katie's room is going to lose a wall.
Butch Harlow

Babybearjs

John