News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Coleman Electric Furnace

Started by Babybearjs, May 31, 2019, 08:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

thought I'd share this weeks adventure.... was on the web yesterday and looked up to see the Livingroom filled with a smoky haze.... Something was burning.... jumped up and went to check the furnace when the unit sparked and then stopped. (breaker Tripped). Opened up the chassis to find that the Molex Connector had failed and was burning... got that under control and was quite mad because now, I have no AC and its suppose to be in the 80's here this weekend and next week! Great! what timing! was going to call for service, but because I have had to repair a electric furnace before.... I'll just fix it me self... Oh Fun! am having to pretty much rewire the whole system.... I'm adding a fuse block for added protection and by-passing the molex connectors for now. I hate it when thing like this happen.... and at the worst possible time too!
John

RB

dsk

Coleman is not selling here in Norway, but I am thinking about white-gas lamps stoves when I here about it.  (I have ordered mine from USA.)
Those are actually great :-)

dsk

Key2871

I do hope that you have working smoke alarms in your house. Your post didn't mention that you woke to smoke alarms going off. You are lucky that you caught and got the situation under control, needless to say that could have been very bad.
KEN

Babybearjs

no, when it happened, I was in the front bedroom on the computer. the frustrating thing is having to rewire the system. I spent about $75.00 on just wire and accessories... each color was 7.99/PK. I bought 4 different colors in both 18 Gauge and 12 Gauge. 18 for the control circuits and 12 for the fan motor leads... I added a fuse block for added protection. the control circuit was originally tied to the 60 Amp Mains, but in the rewire I was able to set them on the 30 Amp mains and I put a 10 Amp fuse on the circuit.
John

Key2871

Well you know that they make battery/electric right?
You can just buy a battery one for ten bucks at Walmart, it's cheap life insurance, you know so you don't die in a fire or smoke filled house... But hey, do what you want.
KEN

Babybearjs

the house has 2 working smoke detectors... the haze wasn't enough to set them off.. but now, all is fixed! I have AC again and just in time! the weather is warming up! but, Boy... you should have heard me when I was trying to fix the unit.... ever curse word in the dictionary! I was sooo tired, and soooo frustrated... but now, that's behind me... I have AC and discovered why the unit failed... the drip pan for the condensation was so filled with gunk that I had to stop and check the drain lines as well as clean out the drip pan...ick! what a mess that was..,. does anyone know the longevity of an "A" coil? 
John