News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE/ Gray Paystation 150HJ

Started by Gary Z, March 12, 2017, 07:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Z

I just picked up this pay station and trying to figure out what was done to it or what it needs. The code # plate on the top has 150HJ. I am using Ron's book to pin down a date and some info and I am going all over the place from the 40's to the 1960's. The coin return chute is not complete and either it came with a closed bucket or one was attempted to be installed from an open chute. It has a hole drilled on the side and a pin also. It came with an F1 handset and I wonder if should be an AE handset. More pictures to come.

rdelius

That square coin vault is not proper for a Grey paystation.The hook appears to be a AE part also

Gary Z

More pics

Russ62

Hi,   The top is pre 1952 as it has the straps for mounting bell and gong to the housing in some models of the phone, most likely Gray like the ID tag.  The ID tag refers to a phone equipped with handset using a W.E antisidetone subset and accepts US and Canadian coins. A.E. appears to have added reinforcing welds visible on the back of the back board in the early 1950's as they are visible on a NOS. A.E. 150GJC shown on a collectors' website dated 1952. However, they are not on my Gray Manufacturing backboard and  slightly earlier A.E. backboards that have factory drilled holes for 101 ind. coils which became an option in 1950, that are otherwise made the same way. I wish I had the schematic for this phone as it exactly matches the description of the ten cent conversion of the 150 series phones as described in A.E. bulletin #499 recently posted in the incoming section of the TCI doc. library. I have 2, 34-40 era Grays (not Gray-Westerns) that I reconstructed from phones updated by the Rodchester Tel. Co., one two piece, one handset. However, I couldn't afford, even if I could locate, the rare textured, but 5 cent lead coin chute that these phones originally came with. Yet, If I had the drawings and schematics that went with the the bulletin #499, that weren't posted on the TCI site, I could authentically equip these phones as the independent phone company equivalent of the Bell System 155G and 174G paystations.              Russell

Ktownphoneco

Roody you may be interested in looking at the patent information as indicated on the old Gray Pay Station Company tag attached to your set.  The inventor for all of the patents is George, A., Long, of Hartford, CT.   The first patent number, which is 917742, dated April 1909, isn't on the tag, but it appears to be the original basis upon which the subsequent patents were based. 
All of the patents have been combined into one "PDF" document which is attached.

Jeff Lamb

Payphone installer

For starters you have a nice phone The KJ and HJ are Gray handset models from two piece payphones. Understand that when A/E bought Gray they continued to make the Gray models, so you find find the A/E payphones in the Gray configuration. That is what you have. If you are going to make a change I would put a open coin return Gray bottom on it. One on ebay now.  If you are very particular I have the proper wiring harness I believe with cloth wire and wood terminal strip. The chute is fine it was common and was used when changed to 10 cents. The chute you mentioned that was Gray in your post is not only expensive it no longer exist. I know of one and I have it in the collection.

Gary Z

Is there a piece of this chute missing or does it look broken?

Gary Z

Is this a Gray bottom that would work?

rdelius

Payphone installer

that would be the proper time frame for your phone.

rdelius

That open coin return on that AE flat fronted coin vault is missing the pull bucket.The older type without the pull bucket is totaily different, has a lower lip that hangs out.

Gary Z

This may look a little more like it should. Thanks for all the help!

Stan S

Roody
Not really.
The 150HJ was a prepay payphone. In other words the initial deposit had to be made to get a dial tone, then you dialed the number
The instruction card on your phone is for a postpay phone.
In other words you made the initial deposit after the called party answered.
See below.
Stan S.

Gary Z

Great info and pictures. Do you know the year? I can't tell from the picture if the is an E1 handset or an AE type 38.

Stan S

Roody
Looks like an AE handset.
However, Gray allowed you to order any handset or dial you preferred. The dial on your payphone is an AE. The dial in the picture from the catalog is a Western.
The payphone in the catalog is 5 cent initial deposit. Your payphone was modified for 10 cent initial deposit probably some time after 1950.
Stan S.