News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE Payphone

Started by Doug Rose, August 13, 2022, 01:25:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 15, 2022, 09:37:57 PMI did one of those a few months back. I cannot fiond any picture od the network but I do have the drawing I used for it. I think I got it from someone here. It is attached.
Harry...I will give it a shot....many thanks for taking the time....Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

You are lucky Doug to live in an area where vintage phones are abundant.

Perhaps the reason the phone was for sale is because the previous owners couldn't get it working with the current wiring.

It might be worth considering looking up this model here on CRPF and starting over from a better foundation.

Harry's helpful drawing above might be a good starting point.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Good News!!!

With Harry's drawing and Stan's schematic I got the phone to work! Fairly painlessly  ::)

The G1 had low volume so I replaced it with an F1 which I think looks sharp.

I do not have all the connections that Harry had on his terminal, so a few guesses on my part and the phone rings and conversation is clear!!

Now, I have three connections for the dial that come through the connector, that Harry has on a second branch on his terminal that I do not have.

Stan's schematic has it connecting basically to the handset
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Payphone Rings and conversation is perfect. I cannot get it to dial, I will try again later.

Big thanks to Harry and Stan.

I had a few Fallout Shelter Stickers and I put it over the hole, it is easily removed...Doug
Kidphone

ka1axy

Got an Automatic Electric 3-slot off Ebay and will pass on that the tin that Twinings loose tea comes in will make a dandy coin receptacle to replace the vault you may not have gotten. I glued a small block of wood to one end to make it easier to remove.

I made a mounting (backing) board for mine by tracing the outline of the phone back and four of the mounting holes onto a piece of scrap 3/4" MDF. Spray painted the edges black. Mount it to a stud, those phones will rip your anchors right out of the drywall! I used 1/4-20 T-nuts in the backing board and 1/4-20 Philips head bolts to mount the phone to the board. Looks very professional and a lot cheaper than the $100 or so they want for the real (or repro) thing!

Doug Rose

Does anyone have a lock to replace the one that was drilled out. Working with key would be great, but a non working just to cover the hole is fine as well...thanks....Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 07, 2022, 09:28:36 AMDoes anyone have a lock to replace the one that was drilled out. Working with key would be great, but a non working just to cover the hole is fine as well...thanks....Doug
I have these if you can't find a keyed lock.
I worked for a company that used these as dummy locks to throw off would be crooks
on some of their vending machines. There plastic and just pop in the hole.
PM me if interested.

HarrySmith

Those are very cool  :D
I have used rubber plugs in the past for those holes in payphones.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

thanks Ron....you are the best!!
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 07, 2022, 02:09:14 PMthanks Ron....you are the best!!

Ah, Not the best but, pretty dadburn close.......LOL!

poplar1

1  DIALING OUT:
Do you have a jumper from L2 to C? If so, you can remove it and instead connect L12 on network to Y on dial, and BK on dial to C. This will substitute the normally closed dial pulsing contact springs for the jumper.

2  MUTING THE RECEIVER WHEN.     
    DIALING"
If it dials out now, you just need to use 2 additional wires to BB and W on dial, and put those 2 contacts in series with the receiver, in order to open the receiver while dialing 

OR

Since there are only 3 screw terminals on the terminal strip at the bottom of the upper housing, you could use them for the Y, BK, and R dial terminals. Connect R on dial to L1 on the 4010B network. This will short L1 and L2 when the dial is in use.

None of the above follows either the BSPs for the Design Line pay phone, or Harry's diagram  The Design Line set has the network in the upper housing (which I had already suggested). Harry's diagram is apparently for a modified 233G (since it shows the transfer contacts from the Upper Housing).

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: poplar1 on September 07, 2022, 11:47:24 PM1  DIALING OUT:
..connect L12 on network to Y on dial, and BK on dial to C
CORRECTION: 

Connect L2 on network

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

thanks David, I appreciate all the help you give me...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDPipes on September 07, 2022, 09:58:06 AMI have these if you can't find a keyed lock.
I worked for a company that used these as dummy locks to throw off would be crooks
on some of their vending machines. There plastic and just pop in the hole.
PM me if interested.

WOW!!! I got them this morning. So easy, even I can do it.  ;D  It just pops in and snaps! Done. That's it!

Thanks Ron, absolutely amazing....Doug
Kidphone

RDPipes

Quote from: Doug Rose on September 10, 2022, 09:48:40 AMWOW!!! I got them this morning. So easy, even I can do it.  ;D  It just pops in and snaps! Done. That's it!

Thanks Ron, absolutely amazing....Doug

Didn't I tell you they just pop in, your very welcome sir.