News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Chrome B1 I Won on eBay

Started by Doug Rose, January 27, 2016, 07:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I won this really nice Chrome B1 on eBay on the cheap. I had all the parts ready, so when I came home from work I assembled it. I still needs a B1 bottom. Hard to photograph. I am really happy with it....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281911288553?
Kidphone

TelePlay

Yes, you did, get it cheap. Nice find. Nice finished phone.

For posterity . . .

Buzby

Doug Rose

Jonathan....have you been talking to Terry and Briny  ::) Nothing better than a WE B1 when talking desk sets....Doug
Kidphone

telcosteve

Hey guys!

Nice work Doug!  That does look pretty cool!   I am really happy that you liked it - and I am super proud you got it!   

Guess what?  I do have an AE round body like that one that has a black hook-switch plunger.  It is not the single push rod switch hook.  btw - This is one of the 9 projects I mentioned Doug.  ;)

The PAT date on the lower front reads as follows -"PAT IN USA   JAN 26 15   JAN 1 18   MAY 7 18   SEPT 21 20"  I am assuming it is a Monophone 1A, but the solid hk sw plunger has me scratching my head on this one.  Any ideas?

poplar1

Telcosteve, those are Western Electric patent dates for their 51AL dial candlestick phone. Often found on the repro bases used by phoneco and others with AE 1A-style Monophone cradles.

http://phonecoinc.com/topic.asp?map=1&hhrl=home&gorl=group&group=main&category=Art&topic=01032
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Quote from: telcosteve on February 13, 2016, 03:06:47 PM
Hey guys!

Nice work Doug!  That does look pretty cool!   I am really happy that you liked it - and I am super proud you got it!   

Guess what?  I do have an AE round body like that one that has a black hook-switch plunger.  It is not the single push rod switch hook.  btw - This is one of the 9 projects I mentioned Doug.  ;)

The PAT date on the lower front reads as follows -"PAT IN USA   JAN 26 15   JAN 1 18   MAY 7 18   SEPT 21 20"  I am assuming it is a Monophone 1A, but the solid hk sw plunger has me scratching my head on this one.  Any ideas?
thanks Steve....it sure is a beauty, I am more than happy with it. It is a keeper. I did not know you were on the Forum.....send some pictures of the AE, but I think David is correct and this was a "Phoneco" put together phone....Doug
Kidphone

telcosteve

This forum is absolutely the best.  The combined knowledge of the experts here is beyond amazing and everyone should be commended. 

Honestly everyone...you all do a service to Antique Phone Collecting.  All I have to say is, "Well done." 

Yes, I believe it is a I wanna be a phone "Phoneco special."  I will post a pic of the dude later.

Babybearjs

Lucky You! someone must have spent a bit of money to have that chromed....W.E. never offered the 202's in chrome did they?
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 14, 2016, 07:58:47 PM
Lucky You! someone must have spent a bit of money to have that chromed....W.E. never offered the 202's in chrome did they?

WE made silver and gold tone Imperial D1's. The gold typically had ivory plastic handsets and the silver were typically painted handsets. The F1 type handsets on these phones usually had g-type handsets. if the elements are f style elements then there is a good chance they were reconverted phones from telephone pioneer imperial phones that the pioneers had converted to lamps.

I did have a copper plated d1 (Base and handset). It appeared to be a retirement set. WE  did chrome plate some 302's (base and handsets) these were typically retirement sets.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

poplar1

I believe some Imperials had painted handsets when assembled at the WE repair shops.

There have been discussion on this forum about both F1- type handsets and F4- type (U-1/T-1 units) found on Continentals and Imperials. Even when equipped with F4s, they always had D4U (4-conductor) mounting cords, for use with painted 634/684 subsets -- not with 685A subsets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: poplar1 on February 15, 2016, 07:49:45 AM
I believe some Imperials had painted handsets when assembled at the WE repair shops.

There have been discussion on this forum about both F1- type handsets and F4- type (U-1/T-1 units) found on Continentals and Imperials. Even when equipped with F4s, they always had D4U (4-conductor) mounting cords, for use with painted 634/684 subsets -- not with 685A subsets.

The F4's were probably used on longer loops in the same "zones" as 5302's with G handsets.

Jim S.

Note: 5302's had F1, GF or G handsets. The F1 and GF both use F elements.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

After months of looking I finally found the proper B1 bottom plate for this beauty. They are hard to find. I actually found two in the same auction at a bargain price along with some other plates.....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281969272142?

Kidphone