News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial Phone Number Inserts, Help!

Started by debeaune, April 24, 2014, 07:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

debeaune

Any pointers on where I can get an assortment of the round dial paper inserts used for phone numbers on phones like the 500? Hate leaving them empty after restoring one of these and would love to place an insert in there form the period.  Any pointers would be appreciated, Tim

jsowers

The Number Card Archive is a great place. You can print them and cut them out.

http://www.telephonearchive.com/numbercards/
Jonathan

TelePlay

Anything and everything number card and card retainer can be found here. Cheap but shipping will run up the total cost. I usually buy in quantity and with other stuff I need to keep the cost of shipping reasonable.

https://www.oldphoneworks.com/dial-number-cards/

Then scroll down to the WE cards.

There are other sources, including printing your own (topics on the forum about that if you do a search for number card).

I just bought a bunch of AE cards and acetate disks from them and the per card cost was much less than buying one or two on eBay. I went with them because the AE cards and disks have several cuts in them to match the retainer that I didn't want to deal with by making my own. WE cards are much more simple with only one cut out. Some buy round circular punches  (NOTE: the punch shown has a scallop edge, you need to get the one with the smooth, round edge. Same punch, different die) to punch out WE printed cards. I have one. They work well. Just need to notch the card after punching it out.

But, then, how many do you need? Good luck. Lots of sources to choose from, ways to make them.

sammytheboyboy

I have bought them at www.vintageswank.com. Go to telephones and the dial cards.

Rich

Sargeguy

I use original blanks that I purchase on eBay, they come in strips and are pretty common. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Fabius

Quote from: Sargeguy on April 24, 2014, 10:14:24 AM
I use original blanks that I purchase on eBay, they come in strips and are pretty common.

An eBay search for Phone Number Inserts turned up a bunch.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

Quote from: sammytheboyboy on April 24, 2014, 09:56:09 AM
I have bought them at www.vintageswank.com.

Speaking as a brit, I have to say that is a very unfortunate URL... :o

TelePlay

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 24, 2014, 11:26:28 AM
Speaking as a brit, I have to say that is a very unfortunate URL... :o

? ? ?

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

TelePlay

Greg G.

Here's the type of circular punch you would need if you want to make your own.  I've had this a while now, only thing I can remember about trying to find one the right size was I had to do a lot of running around.  Calling did no good because the clerks had no clue and would say they had them when they didn't.  Unless you are going to hand-stamp or type the dial card, it's tricky to try to print them on a full sheet of paper and cut them out.  You have to get the placement on the paper (along the edge) just right, and also what you're printing on them.  The sheet of paper in the third picture is inserted as far as it will go.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

TelePlay

Yes, I have the kind the you can not see where the paper is in the punch and it does take some practice and a home made template to get a good punch. These were not available a free years ago when I bought mine. This is a good price with free shipping.

http://ebay.com/itm/390813639441

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on April 25, 2014, 12:01:59 AM
Yes, I have the kind the you can not see where the paper is in the punch and it does take some practice and a home made template to get a good punch.

Okay, I was wrong. These EK Paper Shaper 1 1/2 inch punches, available from several sources including this one on eBay, are easier to use than I knew.

I tipped mine over by accident and guess what, duhh!, you can see what is being punched from the bottom. So, if one puts a printed number card in the punch upside down, one can adjust the paper in the punch to get a perfect punched out number card every time.

Here's my punch used for WE number cards (still need to notch it for the number card holder being used).

twocvbloke

It'd be nice if there was a 40mm (or 4cm, or 1-9/16") punch to suit GPO style cards, 38mm (1-1/2") ones are just a little small for my liking... :-\