1937 302 on ebay!!!!!!

Started by Kenny C, July 28, 2010, 10:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

bingster

It's funny that the seller mentions that it's "circa 1938," when the 1937 date is plainly visible on the base plate.  Maybe they're just not used to phones.

Beaut of a phone, though.  It's in very nice condition.
= DARRIN =

Kenny C

lol if we didnt have the green 302 we could guess what this one will go 4
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Phonesrfun

That's the kind I was talking about in the other thread last night.
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Here is my 1937.  I got it from a fellow collector in Portland who got it from a whole warehouse lot of phones that were in storage from an old independant phone company in Central Washington.  They did have a bunch of Western phones.

This one has the early E1 handset that they did put on the early 302's until they switched to F1's in 1938.  It has the vented hand-hold and the older style wires.  Has a 5H dial.  As far as I know the only thing not original to this phone is the OPW handset cord I bought for it, since the old one was very ragged and shot.  Well, that and the dial which is 1949.  May have been converted from a manual to dial around that time.

My phone:
-Bill G

Dennis Markham

Very nice phone, Bill.  I'd like to find something like that one of these days.  Thanks for the photos.

Dan/Panther

What's the story on the vent. I've never heard about it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 29, 2010, 11:52:33 AM
What's the story on the vent. I've never heard about it.
D/P

Maybe it's to let out the hot air when one gets to yakking and gossiping.

Or, maybe it was probably a way to let sound out for the ringers that was determined was not not needed or too expensive to keep producing, or both.
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phonesrfun on July 29, 2010, 01:04:12 AM
Here is my 1937.  I got it from a fellow collector in Portland who got it from a whole warehouse lot of phones that were in storage from an old independant phone company in Central Washington.  They did have a bunch of Western phones.

This one has the early E1 handset that they did put on the early 302's until they switched to F1's in 1938.  It has the vented hand-hold and the older style wires.  Has a 5H dial.  As far as I know the only thing not original to this phone is the OPW handset cord I bought for it, since the old one was very ragged and shot.  Well, that and the dial which is 1949.  May have been converted from a manual to dial around that time.

My phone:

Bill...my 302 is also a 3/37 with the vented shroud, riveted feet, small ears and plungers. Mine also has an E1, but mine has a #4 dial. All dated 3/37 or I 37. Mine has H1 over the mouse hole, yours has H1-3. I have never seen that before. I agree the vents were to make the ringer. Does yours have the wood post inside next to the dial....Doug
Kidphone

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Kidphone on July 29, 2010, 01:13:46 PM
Does yours have the wood post inside next to the dial....Doug

It sure does.  :)
-Bill G

Doug Rose

Bill...have you ever seen the H1-3 on any other set?
Kidphone

bingster

That base plate is so clean you could eat off it.  Beautiful example.
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

Doug Rose

These early sets came in a few different flavors, I have seen seamless F1s and also the very first 5H dials dated x/37. These are really sharp looking sets....Doug
Kidphone

Kenny C

there must have been something wrong with the first ringer. Dont the III-37 mean it was made in between July and September for the 3rd quarter?
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010