News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg-Carlson magneto box

Started by shadow67, February 23, 2017, 01:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

I have had this box for a very long time, before I even knew what it was, probably 20+ years, but never really did anything with it since I found out it needs more pieces to work. It is stamped 327E on the back and has the magneto and the ringer. It also has external screw terminals, three on top and three on bottom. I am assuming a candlestick and batteries connect to this set, but not sure how as there is no diagram. There does not appear to be a coil or condenser inside, and the wiring is all bare metal with no insulation. My questions are 1, what age is this unit, and 2, what would the connections be to hook this thing up if I had a desk set to connect to it. I thought these should have an induction coil to make a complete phone, but maybe not. I found a 327 wiring diagram for a S-C 327 but it shows a coil whereas mine does not have one. I will attach some photos. thanks.

shadow67

If I connect the right and left terminals on the top to my other magneto phones it will ring them and they will ring it. It also rings its own bells when cranked.

poplar1

1925 Stromberg-Carlson Catalog shows a No. 992 Desk Stand with a No. 327 Desk Set Box. The desk stand + the desk set box are known as the No. 1000 Desk Telephone.

The 992 includes a No. 39-A induction coil in the base of the stand.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.