News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Was This Worth It?

Started by LarryInMichigan, October 16, 2009, 03:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

The early black 500's have a certain 'presence" about them. I have a 1950 with a straight cord and it's my daily driver. Nice phone @ a great price.
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

LarryInMichigan

The static is being caused by the decay of the rubber insulation on the handset cord, just inside the phone, near the clamp (or whatever it is called) which hooks to the base.  My temporary solution was to wrap a twist-tie around the cord a half-inch or so down the cord and tie it to the slot in the base.  This holds the section of the wires with the broken insulation fairly still.  It would probably be best to remove the clamp or obtain a new one, clamp it onto the cord an inch from the bad area, strip off the outer insulation where the problem is, and repair the wires there.  I often use Shoe Goo to repair or replace wire insulation.  It cures as clear rubber.  Now I have another project to add to the list.  I also plan to try the crazy glue idea for filling in the small gouges on the front.

Larry