News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What does "M167" on the bottom of a 500 mean?

Started by Greg G., January 22, 2013, 10:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

It can't be a manufacture date, they didn't have those feet in 67.  Or is it actually a refurb date, as in "Modified Jan 67"?  I think I answered my own question, I just noticed the tell-tale sign of a painted-over manufacture date just to the right.  Doesn't really look too modified though.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

paul-f

The next step is to look at the dates on all the components and see if there's a cluster around the date on the network.  That is likely the assembly date.

If the changed parts are in 67, they were part of the refurb.

It also looks like there had been a screw in the empty hole on the left.  That's where a tube would have been mounted.  The original model number is painted over too.  It was probably converted from a 501.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dan/Panther

I think it means it was originally a 1949 set, that got refurbed.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

During refurb, it looks like they replaced the housing, bottom plate and internals.   ;D
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

poplar1

Isn't that like Grandpa's Axe?

You know the one where they changed the handle three times and the blade twice, but it is still Grandpa's axe?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

twocvbloke

Quote from: poplar1 on January 23, 2013, 10:01:02 PM
Isn't that like Grandpa's Axe?

You know the one where they changed the handle three times and the blade twice, but it is still Grandpa's axe?

Or Trigger's Broom, where in the Only fools and Horses episode, Heroes and Villains, Trigger wins an award for owning the same broom for 20 years, stating  that it has had 17 new heads and 14 new handles, but insists it is still the same broom...  :D