"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Dialer Spring

Started by Colt11, December 22, 2014, 01:21:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colt11

Hello all,
I am new to the board and this is my first post. It was great to find this forum of like minded individuals.
I have been collecting phones throughout the last 10 years, mostly all found in buildings I am about to demo.
Just a few, WE 332, WE 352, WE500, WE2500, WE Spacesaver, etc etc.
I am working on a dialer for an Automatic Electric 50 - the spring mechanism popped out of the back of the dialer.
All parts seem to be there, however the spring will not remain depressed to cause the finger wheel(and the internals)
to return. Also, the spring seems weak, can it be tightened? Adjusted ? Anyone have experience with this model? Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Great phone, would be great to get it to work!

stub

Colt11,
           Welcome to the CRPF!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rotate spring 1 and 1/2 turns counter clockwise like pic. Hope this helps. Check your PM if you need more help.  stub

left click on pics twice to enlarge
Kenneth Stubblefield

Colt11

Thanks for the warm welcome & quick reply, and the info. I think I am operating with a different dialer
as you can see from the attachments. It has a pin inside that looks like it would fit in a notch on the stem of the dialer.
I cant seem to get it too attach  >:(, I thought i would get some other thoughts before proceeding.

Colt11

The other side

Kenton K

The pin fits into the slot on the shaft. When the spring is tensioned, it slots onto the shaft and doesn't come out.. Before slotting it onto the main shaft, turn the spring clockwise counter-clockwise a turn and a half, slot it on, then let go slowly. I'll try to get some pictures up.

Welcome!

Ok

stub

Colt11,
You have the SATT Version of Type 24A36 Dial. Try this free download from the TCI Library - http://tinyurl.com/mbu8t5t
and go to pg . 26 ( fig. 22) for a pic of your spotter cam. I'm not sure which version ( A or B ) you have . Sorry,I didn't have time to read all the info to tell you where to start.
         Now might be a good time to contact Steve Hilsz at  http://navysalvage.com/ . He can fix it right up for 6.00 + parts + shipping both ways. good luck..  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Colt11

Hello All,
Was out of town for holidays,
Thanks for the replies, with all of your help I was successful in getting the dialer to work and the phone to work!

Now I have to figure out how to get it to ring - not sure if it is a single line or not?

Thanks again to all who replied, your help was invaluable.

AE_Collector

A picture of the ringer will quickly determine if it is a " Straight Line" or a " frequency" ringer. In either case if t is set up as originally shipped, a wire needs to be moved to get it to ring on a regular line. They were arranged for party line ringing.

Terry

Colt11

Here is a photo of the phone

paul-f

66.6~ on the ringer coil indicates the frequency the ringer responds to.

It's not a straight line ringer.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

So you wont be able to get it to ring without fining a replacement ringer for it. Some have monkeyed with frequency ringers enough to get them to ring somewhat so you could work in that direction.

Myself, i don't worry about having most of my phones able to ring and since it is original and not "broken", I have no problem leaving frequency ringers in my phones.

Terry