News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric wall phone

Started by 1930, February 26, 2014, 06:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stub

You will have to replace the whole receiver with a polarized receiver. Your shell won't hold the correct guts. Here's my Am.E receiver-                stub

Kenneth Stubblefield

AE_Collector

Yes the receiver is a newer replacement but at least it is an AE. Notice the round black disc in Stub's picture.

I will get you the info on American Electric being merged into Automatic Electric. I meant to but forgot.

Terry

G-Man

Another member and you are calling them fuses however I don't recall seeing fuses equipped on a wall set and we never stocked replacement fuses for our repairmen.

However perhaps American Electric manufactured a few models equipped with them.

Please take a close-up photo and also see if you can tell how many amps they are rated at.

Otherwise I suspect they are standard binding posts that are used to connect the telephone line.

G-Man

Monarch Telephone Manufacturing Company and the American Electric Company merged into  a new entity named American Electric Co., Inc. I seem to recall that that Peter Burns headed the new concern and also once associated with the Victor Telephone manufacturing concern.
It was then purchased by the Automatic Electric Company where it continued to exist as a separate division for marketing manual and local battery instruments until it was finally dissolved by A.E.

poplar1

Since your receiver is Bakelite and appears to have the same "patina" as the rest of the phone, it is easy for someone looking at it to guess that it has the original receiver, and not a replacement. Without seeing the cap, it's difficult to tell which type receiver you have. Notice that the old receiver with the long magnet has a cap with a single large hole, and your receiver cap has several holes.

I understand if you want to restore it with original parts. But just to clarify: The No. 42 receiver may have been installed on a repair visit many years ago.  In those days, the trouble man knew how to diagnose and repair the fault without having to change out the entire phone. So the No. 42 is certainly compatible with the Local Battery circuit of the phone, even if it is not the actual receiver that was originally shipped with the phone. 

Quote from: 1930 on March 02, 2014, 08:09:18 PM
Wrong receiver, interesting, can someone show me what the original receiver would have looked like?
I guess there is a possibility than that the phone was still in service in the 40s.

Maybe I am misunderstanding. Is it being said that the entire deal I would hold to my ear is incorrect/not original or is it the parts within this deal....just for clarification.

Like I had mentioned in my first post a phone expert ( Jerry in Kansas if memory serves me ) said that the receiver was original so I am assuming you guys are referring to the innards parts/pieces.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

Quote from: 1930 on March 01, 2014, 06:57:12 AM
Quote from: stub on February 28, 2014, 11:02:45 AM
Didn't Keystone have these made for them by Am. E ?    stub
What is Keystone?

"This description provided by another colletor describes the relationship between Keystone and American Electric:

There were at least two Keystone telephone companies located in Pennsylvania between 1894 & 1945/46.

The earlier known as the Keystone Telephone Co (approx. 1894-1898) was located in Pittsburgh.

Additionally, there is evidence of the Keystone Electric Telephone Company (approx. 1901-1905) operating from the same address as the Keystone Telephone Co. Telephones and telephone parts produced by various manufacturers with Keystone attributes were utilized by Keystone from the Pittsburgh era.

Some related manufacturers most likely were Western Telephone Construction, Sun Elec Mfg Co., Manhattan Electric Supply, American Electric, Northwestern Telephone Equipment Co. and Burns.

Keystone Telephone Company of Philadelphia conducted business from approx. 1900-1945/46 and utilized telephones manufactured by American Electric with attributes specific to Keystone.

These attributes seemed to vary depending on the production year. There is speculation that all the Keystone companies were in some way related."

stub

Here's the correct receiver cap.  The earlier one I posted was some time after the buy out.   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Thanks for the info guys, I will post some more pictures and respond to individual posts soon. I often work sun-up to sun-down and this was one of those days. No light for decent pictures. Thanks again for the info though
My name is Jason Anderson, I am an avid collector of early Dodge Brother/ Graham Brother car/ Truck literature. Have anything to trade or sell?

stub

- http://theantiquephones.com/
( dead link 01-19-22 )

click on Single Boxes on the left side of screen and scroll down to WS2  0825 and 0846 and click on the pic of the phones . Same as yours except for 6 bar magneto. The diagram on the 2nd phone call it a SAMSON telephone.     stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

stub

1930 ,
            Here's the complete lighting arrester on your phone.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield