News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Snagged my first Mercedes Dial on an AE 21 Candlestick off of eBay

Started by TelePlay, June 27, 2016, 09:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Right place at the right time, I hope. Saw this phone withing 5 minutes of it being listed.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-CANDLESTICK-TELEPHONE-LAMP-NEEDS-TLC-HELP/252436001479

Looked at the eBay photos for about 10 seconds and clicked the $25 BIN. Paid $37.75 with shipping. Seller description said "VINTAGE CANDLESTICK TELEPHONE LAMP~NEEDS TLC HELP. NEEDS HELP. SOLD AS IS." Heck with the lamp. Bought it for the dial and anything else of value would be a bonus. Bought it June 23, arrived today.

What is it, what did I find? No markings on it other than the dial. Seems like a painted parts phone based on what arrived in the box, what was left after the lamp conversion. Probably not worth restoring since so much is missing.

The lamp parts, rope receiver cord and AC line cord hit the garbage pail about the same time. Images below are of the good parts, the undamaged parts. Thinking of taking the paint off. The face plate could be solid brass, it's heavy enough. Any suggestions on what to do?

Seems to be a fully intact Mercedes Dial that needs cleaning. Looks like the 102-A dial posted some time ago on the forum. leads were cut as shown in the pictures.

I've never had a Mercedes so I don't have any idea as to what it is, its age or its type. Any help identifying it would be appreciated.

I think I bit the bear. If so, first time in a long time. Then again, I have no clue as to what I bought.  HELP!

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Jack Ryan

The phone is (was) an AE 21 and the dial is a model 1918 Mercedes. The dial seems to be complete but has been brassed out.

A very good buy!

Jack

Fabius

Very nice. Is the perch where the lamp hole was drilled an easily replaceable part?
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 27, 2016, 09:54:48 PM
The phone is (was) an AE 21 and the dial is a model 1918 Mercedes. The dial seems to be complete but has been brassed out.

Thanks, Jack.

The number plate seems to be in very good condition under the dirt. The dial as received did not want to return. A quick cleaning with R/S tuner cleaner and an oiling has it returning quite nice. Will do a PPS test tomorrow and then a better cleaning and oiling.

From the eBay pictures, I thought the finger wheel may have been painted. It is not. It seems to be solid brass, as is the finger stop,  the perch and maybe the face plate.

Quite a simple and thin dial with only two contact piles. The way the pulse is generated, the make/break process, is interesting. As I said, never had one of these before so happy to get my hands on one for cheap.

Jack Ryan

The perch is probably a cast alloy - same material as metal Monophone 1-A perches. The transmitter face plate is brass.

Don't lose the screw that retains the perch. For some reason they go missing.

Jack

Doug Rose

Nice find John....you will restore it to its past glory!! Another find of the month candidate....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

Took the paint off of the brass face plate and the broken receiver shell. To my surprise, the receiver shell seems to be wooden. Only marking on it is "H77" on the inside just below the threads. I like the grain and the slight crack in the side may not be noticeable when polished. Going to be hard to find a matching cap for this.

Anything special about a wood receiver?

TelePlay

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 27, 2016, 10:54:43 PM
The perch is probably a cast alloy - same material as metal Monophone 1-A perches. The transmitter face plate is brass.

The perch looks like brass to me (brass is an alloy) so is this similar to the Monophone perch or different?

TelePlay

Quote from: TelePlay on June 27, 2016, 10:21:14 PM
The dial as received did not want to return. A quick cleaning with R/S tuner cleaner and an oiling has it returning quite nice. Will do a PPS test tomorrow and then a better cleaning and oiling.

Was very surprised to see the dial speed exactly 10 PPS. Yes, I know, just turned out that way, the numbers that is. And the break/make ratio is right on as well. The pulse contacts seem to be a bit dirty as there is some "noise" during some of the contact changes.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: TelePlay on June 28, 2016, 09:41:08 PM
Took the paint off of the brass face plate and the broken receiver shell. To my surprise, the receiver shell seems to be wooden. Only marking on it is "H77" on the inside just below the threads. I like the grain and the slight crack in the side may not be noticeable when polished. Going to be hard to find a matching cap for this.

Anything special about a wood receiver?

Wood - really? The thread looks brass. It might be a British/Commonwealth receiver that is brass with an Ebonite coating.

Jack

Jack Ryan

Quote from: TelePlay on June 28, 2016, 09:42:55 PM
The perch looks like brass to me (brass is an alloy) so is this similar to the Monophone perch or different?

It looks brass to me too. What is the shaft/handle made of? It could be steel or an aluminium alloy - maybe brass.

Jack

TelePlay

Quote from: Jack Ryan on June 28, 2016, 10:14:32 PM
Wood - really? The thread looks brass. It might be a British/Commonwealth receiver that is brass with an Ebonite coating.

Whatever it is, it was dry under the paint. Refreshed the surface and it darkened the surface. No brass on it. Not wood. Could be a mottled Bakelite. It is really light in weight. The broken edge, the thread area, does not show the porous substrate I've seen on broken Bakelite.

Pourme

When I enlarge the reciever, it does look wooden. Great find!..
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

John....every phone room needs Lamps. I wouldn't be so hasty as to throw out the threaded screw in part. This will look great when completed....Doug
Kidphone