News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does the circiutry count as much as design?

Started by dsk, October 14, 2015, 01:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

This should maybe have been a poll, but I want more detailed options.

I would like to ask you about in what order and how much these details matter for you.

Several telephones has been made with pretty different circuitry, my example:

In Norway the DBH 1101 or 1932 model was commonly used in lots of local telephone companies.  The std diagram published in TCI library as Ericsson  LME DBH 1101 was widely used, but 3 Companies did want their own circuit.
Trondheim (city), Bergen (city) And Stavanger (city) had 3 more or less different circuit. 

All of these used an old fashioned 1000 ohms ringer, and a 1 micro Farad capacitor. (This gave a load about double of the later US "version" known as W.E. 302) The voice circuit in the Trondheim version is more or less equal to the 302. (but not that optimized) The 2 others was more like an adjustment of the original circuit, but with differences in the hook switch arrangement. (quite close to A.E. triad circuitry)

dsk

Maybe you even a look for for why this question? 
Circuitry are interesting for me, and I have got the original DBH 1101 circuit many years ago. I knew about the Trondheim version as possible to get, and have never heard someone having the Bergen, or Stavanger versions.  I just bought a surplus phone from a fellow collector, for parts, only NOK 25 ($3.1) and it showed up to be the strange Bergen version. 

This one are probably from 1947

I have not nominated this as find of the month, but it is quite rare.

dsk

Dan/Panther

It depends if you have a "TYPE" collection, or a "By MODEL" collection.

If you have a type collection, just to show a sequence of development of the phone, then circuitry wouldn't be a factor, just the outside appearance.
If you have a "By Model" collection, then all variations are the subject of the collection.

Examples:
Photo one is my "TYPE" collection, a progression of phones. Internal variations aren't required.
Photo two is my "BY MODEL" collection, all the same phone but variation by year manufactured. This collection style can grow very rapidly.
And as you can see, most will say;  "Yeah, but these are all the same".

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

unbeldi

dsk

In Norway the phones generally was named by make and modell, where modell was the first year of manufacture. So what is known as
L M Eriksson DBH 1101 in many countries, the Elektrisk Bureau (EB) made their modell 32.  The standardization of circuitry was never made, and the smaller companies bought most telephones from  STK (STC) LME and Siemens.  The Telegrafverket (our "MA BELL") went for a circuit pretty close to W.E. 300, but might use others when Norwegian manufacturer (EB) not had a suitable phone to cover the needs.

dsk