News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anybody hot for a nice gray W.E. 1500 set?

Started by Dave F, November 24, 2012, 12:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave F

I realize that we normally don't discuss eBay auctions while they still are active.  However, here's an interesting one that I suspect nobody here is about to bid on:

http://tinyurl.com/cd324k7

A very nice phone for sure, but not nice enough to cough up more than $300 for!  All it takes is two looneys to create a lot of excitement.

AE40FAN

Yeah, I saw this.  Are they usually this valuable?

Dave F

Quote from: AE40FAN on November 24, 2012, 01:45:00 PM
Yeah, I saw this.  Are they usually this valuable?
No, but $150 would probably be reasonable.  After all, gray is the toughest color to find in a 1500 (if we ignore transparent).

McHeath

I dunno, this is a pretty rare bird.  The color for one, then the 10 button, then the reuse of a 1956 base plate being converted into the 1500.  It's a curious one, worth some coin to someone obviously.  It is discolored some, but still I don't see the current 330 price as being crazy.

Phonesrfun

Those doggone round rubber feet were sure nasty at rusting out.  One of their worst design ideas, although even then, the feet outlasted the Bell System itself.
-Bill G

Dave F

Quote from: McHeath on November 25, 2012, 01:17:46 AM
I dunno, this is a pretty rare bird.  The color for one, then the 10 button, then the reuse of a 1956 base plate being converted into the 1500.  It's a curious one, worth some coin to someone obviously.  It is discolored some, but still I don't see the current 330 price as being crazy.
I dunno about that.  I paid about $125 for mine, and I have never seen one go over $200 until now.  If there's something special about this one, I'm missing it.  The bids on this auction look like a familiar case of grudge bidding.  When that happens, the only winner is the seller.

DF

McHeath

If you paid 125 then you done real good methinks.  This one needs the color cleaned up, and that rust removed, then it will be real nice. 

AE40FAN

Can you even remove the rust or does it need to be painted?  Inside of the feet are also rusted can those be repaired?

Dave F

Quote from: McHeath on November 25, 2012, 01:43:54 PM
If you paid 125 then you done real good methinks.  This one needs the color cleaned up, and that rust removed, then it will be real nice. 
I just looked inside the box and the receipt was still in there.  Purchased in April, 2011 for $137.52 plus $16.95 shipping.  It's a pretty nice phone.  I'll try to find time later today to post a picture here.

DF

Dan

wasn't this set also sold by the guy with the black 1500 prototype???
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dave F

Dave F

Quote from: Dave F on November 25, 2012, 02:06:39 PM
Quote from: McHeath on November 25, 2012, 01:43:54 PM
I just looked inside the box and the receipt was still in there.  Purchased in April, 2011 for $137.52 plus $16.95 shipping.  It's a pretty nice phone.  I'll try to find time later today to post a picture here.

DF
Here's my gray 1500.  Not perfect, but very nice.