johnnyjt

Hi Guys

I just started working on my 302 and I hear a dial tone loud
and clear and when dialing a phone number I hear the pulse
clicks but I still hear a dial tone. The 302 will ring and I can
answer calls.  I checked the wiring...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/wd_we302bw-cw-dw_big.jpg

I am not using the filter.

The dial works, I use Stan Schreier's  Dial Test Cable...

http://www.antiquetelephonehistory.com/dialtest.php

with another phone that works.
So I guess something with the network

Any thoughts

Thanks

JohnnyJT  8)
South Philly 

LarryInMichigan

It sounds like the dial is not connected correctly.  Does the phone have a WE #4, 5, or 6 dial?

Larry

johnnyjt

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 08, 2012, 07:22:42 PM
It sounds like the dial is not connected correctly.  Does the phone have a WE #4, 5, or 6 dial?

Larry

Hi Larry

The dial is 5H and it's wired...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/wd_we302bw-cw-dw_big.jpg

Without the filter.

JohnnyJT 8)
South Philly

HarrySmith

The test cable you used only tests for pulsing. There may be another issue with the dial mechanism. Can you post a picture of the back of the dial?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Are you connected via traditional landline or internet based service?

johnnyjt

Quote from: G-Man on March 08, 2012, 10:39:11 PM
Are you connected via traditional landline or internet based service?

Hi

I have Verizon Fios.  My AE40 works perfectly. 
This 202 and at least 2 TT phones I have problems
with the dial tones sounding all the time.

Here are some photos...

Thanks

JohnnyJT 8)
South Philly

johnnyjt

Hi

Here are 2 more photos

5H Dial at normal position...

5H Dial at dialing position...

And of course while dialing the pulse contacts go up and down.

I have been testing 2- 5H and 3- 4H that I have and
only 1- 4H actually dials works correctly.
Hear dial tone and soon as I dial the first digit
the DT stops and the call go through.

btw I even tried a 2AB I have in a 102 connected like...

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=345.msg3668#msg3668
3rd photo down

With a 302 base as subset.  It works perfectly.

So I quess I have 4 bad dials.

Thanks

JohnnyJT 8)
South Philly  

Phonesrfun

You say that the pulse contacts go up and down while the dial is winding down.  Are they opening and closing?  That is the key element.  Will it disconnect when you take the wire off the Y terminal of the dial?

With the older wiring you have, it is difficult to see the coloring of the wires to trace them out when looking at the photos.  Any way, try disconnecting the wire from the dial's Y terminal and lets make sure you get a disconnect.

On the touch tone phones, when they do not break dial tone, it is either because they have the red and green line cord wire reversed, or the tuning is off frequency.  The MOST likely cause is just that you need to reverse the two line cord wires (red and green).

I have seen your postings in the list serve forum and so I see you are having some difficulty in getting this resolved, so let's try to get it done.  I am certain that you don't have a bunch of bad dials, and if one phone will work on the Fios, then others should too!

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

PS:

Have you been using the same phone for testing all these dials? or are these all different phones?

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Here is how the 302 should be wired for the hookswitch and the dial.  Being able to tell the coloring of the wires is difficult, so the thing to do is to take the extra few minutes to carefully trace each wire one-by-one.  Someone before you may have tried to re-wire the phone and gotten confused and gave up, only for you to be saddled with his (or her) error.

Carefully check each of these wires:

Red and green line cord wires go to L1 and L2/Y on the induction coil
From L2/Y there should be a wire going to the hookswitch that is or was yellow.  The other side of that switch contact should have a wire that is or was brown/yellow, and it should connect to the Y rerminal on the dial.

The three handset wires whould be wired as follows:

Red to terminal R on the 101-A Induction coil
White to the W terminal on the back of the dial
Black to the BK terminal of the dial along with a black wire from the capaicitor ( See below)

The capacitor has four wires coming out of it.  Black, Red, Slate, and Yellow.  Slate and yellow are hard to tell apart when they get old, but fortunately, they can be reversed, so it doesn't matter which is which, but here is how they are supposed to be wired:

Black to BK on the dial as indicated above
Red to terminal C on the 101-A induction coil
Yellow to L2/Y on the 101-A induction coil
Slate to terminal K on the little terminal pad next to the 101-A coil

The ringer should be connected as follows

Ringer Red to L1 on the 101-A induction coil
Ringer Black to terminal K on the little terminal pad next to the 101-A coil, along with the slate capacitor wire from above.

There should be a single jumper wire that is or was slate/red in color that goes between terminal R of the dial and terminal L1 on the 101-A induction coil.

The second section of the hookswitch will have one wire which is or was Brown/Blue that goes to terminal BB on the dial, and the other side of that same hookswitch section should have a wire that is or was green that connects to terminal G on the 101-A induction coil.

That's about it.  That is the complete 302 wiring.  The best thing to do is to print this out and use it as a checklist and just go through it wire by wire.

Have fun.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: johnnyjt on March 13, 2012, 05:52:41 PM
So I quess I have 4 bad dials.
JohnnyJT 8)
South Philly  
Hi JohnnyJT:

I'll buy your bad dials for $20

Just kidding. There has to be something more going on than the dials. Keep investigating the problem. You will get to the bottom of it.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

johnnyjt

Hi

Checked wiring and only 1-5H dials out and connects to my cell and the other 5H and 2-4H keep hearing dial tone and won't dial out.  I had also tried all 4 dials on my 202 when Bill gave me the wiring for 304 101B coil base as subset.  No dial tone trouble there but will not dial out and connect to my cell.  1 good out of 4. So the 3 will have to go to Steve Hilsz.

Thanks

JohnnyJT   8)
South Phhilly

HowardPgh

Is the Verizon FIOS picky about pulse speed?
Howard