News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TCS1803/CBC Radio Canada

Started by DavePEI, March 15, 2017, 08:11:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I received two radio station broadcast sets used for coordinating remote broadcasts via 2 or 4 conductor line, the TCS 1903. They were built by Bell's Telephone Contract Shop in Montreal to fill an order from CBC/Radio Canada. They are the same idea to the WE331B, Northern QSK7A, and other similar devices, but a much more sophisticated unit compared to them, allowing dialing of multiple connected units, selective calling, and capable of connection to the PSTN, etc. 

They arrived from Montreal Monday. Upon (admittedly slow reading) of the French manual, it appears that these go further than the NT QSK-7s; they can be daisy chained to connect one to another, and with an interface TCS1804(likely just an isolation transformer), they can dial into the PSTN. As I do more translating or at least trying to understand the manual, I will pass along more about them. My french is very weak after 50 years of not using it at all. I will take extended photos of them after I get their clean-up done, including interior shots. I have posted copies of both the French language manuals and "my" English transcription to the files section of the Museum Facebook site.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PEITelelephoneMuseum

As mentioned before, these were built by Bell's Telephone Contract Shop In Montreal for the CBC I have two units, one serial number 003, and one serial number 005. Both appear to work, as a quick test has shown. Of course, they will get more intensive testing, which I didn't do Monday, as I am recovering from one of my eye shots this morning. Instead, I have spent my time slowly cleaning both, and getting the photos. As you can see, when away from AC power, it is powered by a 12 volt gel cell in the base. I have left one unit charging to see if it can maintain a charge.

In Monday's limited testing, when you remove the handset, the audio from that handset goes to the speaker and to the other connected phone's speaker.

Now, this is a neat device. Dial *815 (or whatever the number is for each of the other TCS1803s connected), and it will ring that set, not any other that are connected to it. Dial*000 and it will ring all sets. Press the ring button, and it will also ring all sets. I had thought originally that this directed dialing would only work if the TCS1804 controller was hooked up, but this part of the programming supports the directed dialing by itself. When the bell rings, the bell light will flash. When the ringer is switched off, the bell light will flash alone. Audio is as clear as on a regular telephone line through the Contempra handset on each. I repaired the latch on one of the units, but am still short one latch for the other device's back cover. I have revised the PDF file several times today to give better formatting, to correct some errors, and to add diagrams labeled in English for the front and back of the sets.
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

I am in need of one part for one of my TCS1803 units, a spring loaded toggle latch. This is a similar latch to what is seen on many commercial equipment cases. It is roughly 3/4 inch wide, and 3 inches measured end to end. These hold the front and back covers on the unit when it is not in use. Even if it wasn't exactly the same, it wouldn't make much difference so long as it held it closed. The spring type would work fine
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001