News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 202 for $50

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, December 01, 2013, 01:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

My dad alerted me about a WE 202 with the subset for $50 BiN on eBay. He asked; "Is this a good deal?", to which I responded; "Heck yeah!"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161164548224

Can someone please post the auction pictures? My laptop battery is acting up, so I'm using my tablet instead, and I can't post high-quality pictures with it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

WesternElectricBen

I got your back, Christian.

I saw a 202 with a painted subset at an antique store yesterday, which I passed by, but this seems to be a great deal, if its authentic.

Ben

LarryInMichigan

That is definitely a deal.  The subset alone would sell for nearly as much.  The "WOodward" number card suggests that the phone came from right here in the Detroit area (Woodward Ave, MI rte 1, is a major street here).

Larry

Sargeguy

A 202/F-1 with dial sells for anywhere from $40-60 and the 534/634 sells for about $40-75, so at the very minimum you save around $40.  The set looks like its in nice shape so you probably did better than that.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

Yes, I think you did well.  Especially should you discover that this set still has its 4H dial.  I just saw a 4H sell for $49 by itself.

A few weeks ago I got a similar deal at $67.
1934 202/D1 WITH 4H dial plus 634 subset.

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on December 01, 2013, 06:35:56 PM
I just saw a 4H sell for $49 by itself.
Actually the price was $51.
Recently these have been selling between the $40s and into the $60s. $60s mostly actually.

poplar1

Quote from: unbeldi on December 01, 2013, 06:40:30 PM
Quote from: unbeldi on December 01, 2013, 06:35:56 PM
I just saw a 4H sell for $49 by itself.
Actually the price was $51.
Recently these have been selling between the $40s and into the $60s. $60s mostly actually.

So either the parts are worth more than the whole, or the 4Hs mounted in sets aren't always spotted by potential bidders, even when there are pictures showing the inside parts of 202s or 302s.

Or, some are too smart to clutter their shop with now dial-less 302s bought for $25 just to get the 4H dial or converted #2.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

QuoteOr, some are too smart to clutter their shop with now dial-less 302s bought for $25 just to get the 4H dial or converted #2.

Not me.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

WEBellSystemChristian

This is my second 202, the first one I have had for months and haven't even started yet. I got it for $60, and it was cheaply rigged to (and barely does) work. Will need new cords, a subset, a dial overlay, and a ton more parts that I don't want to think about. This one will be my better 202 buy... 8)
Christian Petterson

WEBellSystemChristian

Well, it arrived today. Bad news, subset is rusty, white paint is spattered all over the desk stand, green paint is spattered on the subset, and the finger wheel is bent. Good news, both subset and desk stand are in need of a sand blast and powder coat anyway, so rust and multicolored paint are no issue, and THE DIAL IS A 4H!!! :) Looks good for the price... 8)

By the way, the dial card was printed on printer paper, not card stock, so I think someone printed one off of some website, but there's an original Battle Creek card underneath it!
Christian Petterson

Contempra

Christian you paid $50 for this phone and you need to make a big job on it if I understood what you written  hey !..

tallguy58

Don't feel bad. Finger wheel...always bent. Put it in a wood vice and presto!

Paint should be no issue.

Lots of cleaning and polishing, new cords.....good as new.

Great deal.
Cheers........Bill

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: tallguy58 on December 05, 2013, 04:23:27 PM
Don't feel bad. Finger wheel...always bent. Put it in a wood vice and presto!

Paint should be no issue.

Lots of cleaning and polishing, new cords.....good as new.

Great deal.

Thanks. The powder coat we use is really shiny, has that wet look. It will look beautiful on this phone.
Christian Petterson

LarryInMichigan

Before stripping and repainting the phone, make sure that it really needs it.  A mild paint stripper will remove the paint splatters without removing the factory paint underneath.  I have managed to make a few phones look great by stripping off the mess on top and polishing the original paint.

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on December 05, 2013, 09:50:27 PM
Before stripping and repainting the phone, make sure that it really needs it.  A mild paint stripper will remove the paint splatters without removing the factory paint underneath.  I have managed to make a few phones look great by stripping off the mess on top and polishing the original paint.

Larry

Believe me, it needs a repaint. The cradle is worn down to bare metal obviously due to handset shifting. Not only that, but the paint on the dial is rough, too, so it would be too much effort to try to restore the current paint finish.
Christian Petterson