and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

"Calibrating" Dials?

Started by HobieSport, October 22, 2008, 04:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Quote from: mr_a500 on October 08, 2010, 04:50:52 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 05, 2010, 01:53:14 PM
I turn the finger wheel all the way from '0' to the finger stop then let go, and start at the same time saying out loud 1001.
If the finger wheel stops at the same time I get to the second '1', it's OK. ;)
D/P

OK, but if it's too slow, what do you do?

I've got four WE 500 phones. Two have 7A dials and they work perfectly fine. The other two are 7D dials that move slightly too slow and don't work. I oiled them (using the nice, fancy "oiling points" pictures for reference) but they still didn't work. I then disassembled them, cleaned them, checked connections, rotated the spring the correct number of times and reassembled - but they still move too slowly and they still don't work.

I'm really starting to hate 7D dials.

It needs servicing probably. A good clean and lube. Personally I've never encountered a serviced dial that wasn't in time, unless some damage had occurred.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on October 08, 2010, 07:15:52 PM
Steve fixes dials right?

No Kenny, he likes his springs adjusted.... ;D
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

bingster

Can a #7 governor be adjusted?  According to 501-162-100, the speed of 6/7/8 dials wasn't considered correctable, and slow or fast dials were to be replaced.  Of course, the contact pileup wasn't to be removed for any reason, too, and we do that all the time.  Just curious if the speed of the 6/7/8 dials is more difficult to adjust than the 2/4/5 dials, or what.
= DARRIN =

mr_a500

Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 08, 2010, 09:14:11 PM
Quote from: mr_a500 on October 08, 2010, 04:50:52 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on October 05, 2010, 01:53:14 PM
I turn the finger wheel all the way from '0' to the finger stop then let go, and start at the same time saying out loud 1001.
If the finger wheel stops at the same time I get to the second '1', it's OK. ;)
D/P

OK, but if it's too slow, what do you do?

I've got four WE 500 phones. Two have 7A dials and they work perfectly fine. The other two are 7D dials that move slightly too slow and don't work. I oiled them (using the nice, fancy "oiling points" pictures for reference) but they still didn't work. I then disassembled them, cleaned them, checked connections, rotated the spring the correct number of times and reassembled - but they still move too slowly and they still don't work.

I'm really starting to hate 7D dials.

It needs servicing probably. A good clean and lube. Personally I've never encountered a serviced dial that wasn't in time, unless some damage had occurred.

D/P

As I said, I already did a good clean and lube. Both are too slow and don't dial properly.

Are you saying that these dials don't have to be adjusted - just cleaned and oiled? I like that idea... except if they still don't work and there's nothing to adjust.

Jim Stettler

If they are slow due to binding, you may be able to adjust the backlash. I looked at the mentioned BSP and they said not to adjust.
This was iss.11 September  1973.

It is possible that there are adjustment guidelines in iss.1 and some of the other early issuses.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

mr_a500

Well I fixed the '54 7D dial. Somehow after putting it back together the last time, the contacts got jammed together. I just had to push the little plastic piece off the contacts and everything was fine. I oiled another part that squealed a bit and now it's working perfectly. (...but still not as smooth as a 7A dial)

My other 7D dial still doesn't work, but that's not important (a spare). I'll take it apart for fun when I've got the time.

Thanks for the help, guys!