News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ringer Problems on Stromberg 1543W-K

Started by flatlander, October 29, 2010, 09:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

I have a SC 1543W-K. I cannot get the ringer to ringer. First I posted pictures of phone. I don't know if it is a straight line or "party line" ringer. The bell is a 83M-54 with a 409, 202858-455 capacitor.

I have looked at the 1543W drawing and have from the bell the red wire going to position 2 and the black wire going to position c1. I have the line wire connected to a surface jack so that I can take the G and Y line wires and bridge them on the surface jack block. Tried that and still could not get it to ring.

Any help would be great

wds

I would need to see a better picture of the ringer, but I purchased a 1543 off of (you guessed it) Ebay recently, and someone had switched out the SL ringer for a Frequency ringer.  My frequency ringer looks just like yours, so I guessing that your ringer could also be a frequency ringer.  I haven't had much luck finding a SL ringer for that phone either. 
Dave

Dennis Markham

I agree that you have a frequency ringer there.  The stiff clapper shaft and the adjustable, heavy clapper are clues to a frequency ringer.  I don't think it's an issue of wiring. 

mr_a500

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 30, 2010, 09:02:48 AM
I agree that you have a frequency ringer there.  The stiff clapper shaft and the adjustable, heavy clapper are clues to a frequency ringer.

That's interesting. One of my Stromberg phones has the stiff shaft and heavy clapper and that's the one that doesn't ring. So that solves that.

One of my other Strombergs had a ringer that I later discovered to be a WE 302 ringer. It even had a WE 500 transmitter (and a very lousy non-working dial). Obviously, the seller just jammed in all the parts he didn't want.

wds

I believe that the K in the 1543W-K stands for 30hz ringer.  The code on the ringer 83M-54 seems to stand for a 54 hz ringer.  Either way, it won't ring.

There is a thread on 1543 codes that might help.  I'm not sure how to copy links, so here is the title of the posting, and you can do a search to find it:

Stromberg Carlson Model 1543 Suffix Codes

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1004.msg12204#msg12204
Dave