News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Ideal Brenner 20'''...Came with the house!

Started by Nick in Manitou, November 29, 2017, 02:06:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick in Manitou

We bought this house last February and did an extensive remodel to it - taking out walls, adding others, etc.

All the while there was this lantern hanging from a hook over the front porch. I assumed that it was a cheap gift shop item that I would pitch when I got around to it.

Today I Googled the name I found on the wick adjustment knob, "Ideal Brenner 20''' ", (yes there are three apostrophes after the 20 on the knob!) and it seems that it is a lamp (lantern?) that some have some respect for.

I used the search function on this forum and didn't find any reference to Ideal Brenner.

I have no idea of the age or quality of this item.  Does anyone have any info about this specific lantern or the manufacturer in general?

Lamp vs lantern...what's the difference?

Thanks,
Nick

Edit: I originally took the photos with the digital camera I have been using for years with the camera rotated 90 degrees. I rotated the photos and saved them as I have in the past and posted them on the forum...and they all came out sideways! (I assume that this was due to the recent software changes on the forum.) (Note: I am using Windows 10)
So I right clicked on each of the photos I wanted to post and selected "Edit with Pictures" and saved a copy of each and then posted those copies...and they seem to have come out correctly oriented! I am mentioning this because it was NOT a very complicated or time consuming process.

twocvbloke

Quote from: Nick in Manitou on November 29, 2017, 02:06:54 PMLamp vs lantern...what's the difference?

According to this:

http://wikidiff.com/lamp/lantern

"Lamp is a see also of lantern.
As nouns the difference between lamp and lantern is that lamp is a device that generates heat, light or other radiation while lantern is a case of translucent or transparent material made to protect a flame, or light, used to illuminate its surroundings.
As verbs the difference between lamp and lantern is that lamp is (slang) to hit, clout, belt, wallop while lantern is to furnish with a lantern.
"

So, erm, that doesn't really clear it up in my head!!!  ???

TelePlay

(from the same source as twocv - he beat me to a reply while I was working on the Fresnel image example)

Lamp:  A device that generates heat, light or other radiation; A device containing oil, burnt through a wick for illumination; an oil lamp; A piece of furniture holding one or more electric light sockets.

Lantern:  A case of translucent or transparent material made to protect a flame, or light, used to illuminate its surroundings.

=================================

Not much difference except in theater the word "instrument" is the huge metal container that holds the very bright "lamp" to illuminate part of the stage. There are many types of those, this is a Fresnel (has a fresnel lens on the front) which is a fill light in usage and color gels can be added to the front.

So, it seems a lamp (bulb) is the light source and the lantern (device) is that which encases the lamp, I would guess in general.

=================================

BTW, nice lantern. Brass should sine up nice. Does it work?

HarrySmith

Very nice find, that is a good looking lantern. John is right that brass should shine like new!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

dsk

The first 20 years we had a kerosene lamp with a burner like that in the living room at our cabin. When the electricity came we kept it a few years, but when my father got older, he needed more light, do since the mid 80-ies we did put in an electric bulb. We use an adapter like the one under. (We still use it) and we have kept the original parts, so it is easy to reverse back to kerosene.

dsk

PS, they still sell the kerosene-lamps not to different from what we have in the cabin:
https://www.rk-smia.no/produkt/molde-20/

TelePlay

Here's a site that deals with this type of lantern. It's European in origin.

http://www.milesstair.com/KOSMOS-BRENNER_LAMPS_&_WICKS.html

Interesting in that the wick for a 20'''is 3 5/8" wide but is formed into a tube to feed it into the burner.

Parts including globes are available, but not cheap compared to Dietz stuff. $140 for a new replacement burner? Wow!

You have the Ideal" nautical, hanging version of their lamps and they made some very nice looking lamps. I think whomever left it there made a huge mistake in doing so.

http://www.toplicht.de/en/shop/lampe-leuchte-und-laterne/zubehoer-fuer-petroleumlampen-brenner-blaker/brenner-dochte-und-zubehoer/ideal-brenner

https://www.lanternnet.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WKL&Product_Code=W30&Category_Code=

https://youtu.be/xIMqNsanDkQ

One could catch "lampitis" quickly while holding that lamp.

Nick in Manitou

Thanks for the comments!

I have followed the links you all provided and learned a lot! (Starting from zero!)

I THINK I can keep lamp and lantern straight...the bulb is the lamp and the overall device is a lantern...maybe... So, for all these years everyone I know has been calling those old lighting things we see in cowboy movies, kerosene lamps...but I guess they are more correctly called lanterns.  Then, again, does it matter very much?

We may keep the lantern around along with some fuel for it in case the power goes out...but they say that doesn't happen much around here.

The device is all brass and appears to have been coated with a clear coat of some sort that has done a pretty good job of keeping it mostly shiny to this point. (It has been hanging outside in the Arizona weather for who knows how long!)  Is there a recommended way to remove the clear coat that the manufacturer probably applied?  Or should we just leave it as is?

I checked the inside of the reservoir and it looks absolutely clean. There is some char on the wick, but there is no smell of kerosene.

I am having enough trouble with Phonitis, I certainly don't need to contract Lampitis too! (At least they are cheaper than Antique-Motorcycle-itis which I seem to have a chronic tendency toward (even though I have not owned one for decades!))

Maybe someone on the forum needs this for their collection and wants to trade a duplicate phone for this lamp!

Nick   

TelePlay

I'd leave the factory coating on the lantern and use a mild, non-abrasive wax, something like Renaissance Wax, to coat the surface to protect it.

The coating they put on brass to keep it from oxidizing works very well. Once removed, the brass can turn dark from oxidation. Those brass belt buckles used on military web belts came with a coating that was taken off right away but once that was done, the brass buckle had to be polished daily with Brasso. I think that coating was meant to keep the brass from oxidizing on the shelf, not protects the surface under harsh conditions such as those found on a boat.

The factory coating will never look as bright as freshly shined brass but the factory coating is far superior to periodically cleaning the oxidation off of the brass, all those corners and bends and hard to get areas.

Being a nautical lantern, I'm sure the coating was meant to protect the lamp from salt water so I'd leave it on, clean it with a mild cleaner and use a wax that does not detract from the factory coating.

Nick in Manitou

Although we had plans to move to a smaller home in New Mexico, plans have changed again and we are going to be moving to downtown San Francisco for my wife's new job!  As a result of the change in destination, the scale of our downsizing will be greater than we had imagined.

I am posting an ad in the classified section of the forum for the lantern discussed in this post. Please take a look if you think you might be interested.

Thanks,
Nick