News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg-Carlson 1443, new acquisition

Started by BDM, January 31, 2009, 06:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Well, I went to the M.A.R.C. Antique Radio meet today, and all I got was a silly SC telephone. Go figure :P

Anyhoot, this is really a nice phone. It's more of a transition phone between the 1243 and 1543. Not many were produced apparently. The condition is very nice, and it works well. Except I can't seem to get the ringer to work. Need to look into that later. Here are a few pics. I would suggest one of these phones for your collection. My date code is 1946. BTW, that handset cord is going bye-bye in favor of a thick coiled cord ;)

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

bingster

Looks to be in particularly nice shape, Brian.  I've always been fond of the various 1940s-50s Strombergs. 
= DARRIN =

BDM

Correction, it's a 1543. The handset is updated for the 1543 and so is the network. The 1443 uses the same network and handset found in the 1243, just the later body is used.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Shovelhead

And to think I could have swiped it when you left the table........................ ;D

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Gee thats pretty!  What a nice looking phone, and an interesting alternative to the WE 500 series.  Are you sure about that date?  I thought these were made after the 500 was introduced in 49'.

BDM

Yup, says 5-46. But I agree with you. It should be a 50s manufacture date. So I'm not sure about those numbers as far as their meaning. I need to get further educated on these S.C. phones. Cause outside of W.E, they're one of my favorite telephone manufactures.

UPDATE: I should have mentioned, that date is on the bell support frame. Now that's possible as this appears to be like the earlier bell networks used by S.C. So again, it means nothing about the actual manufacturing date. Add to the fact it uses a "black beauty" for a network capacitor(1950s era radios are loaded with them). Those were specifically used starting around 1950/51. So again, it has to be of 50s vintage.

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Brian, we talked a little about the frequency ringers on Ellen's posting here:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=562.0

I don't know if S.C. used those or not.  If the ringer is marked for 20hz it is a straight line ringer.  Some companies used to use ringers that were rated for higher cycles at certain voltage (now I may be getting things mixed up here---I'm not an electrical guy).  But if I understand it correctly they would send certain voltage down the line at different cycle ratings.  Some ringers may have a 33 1/3 cycle ringer which was called a frequency ringer for party line use...to isolate that ringer from others on the line.  If yours is rated above 20 cycles it won't ring.

BDM

Ahhhh ok, got it. Used in various multiple party line service for lack of a better word. Change of electrical freq response for the ringer. Hmmmmm, good question. It does have a p/n # on it. I need to look through the clubs archives.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI