News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

It just a piece of wire, or is it?

Started by TelePlay, November 20, 2017, 07:53:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

The only know piece of underground electrical wire to exist is going up for sale.

"The First Underground Wire to Light a Home in the World, Part of Thomas Edison's Groundbreaking Test in Menlo Park, and Used to Electrify Edison's Own Home"

Purchase price: $120,000.00

https://www.raabcollection.com/science-autographs/edison-first-underground-wire

"The dual conductor copper wires are still partially covered by Edison's asphalum. The artifact was dug up by F.A. Wardlaw, long-time aide, and was later Secretary of the Edison Pioneers and curator of the historical collection of the Association of Edison Illuminating Companies. Wardlaw has inscribed a note in sending it to Kruesi's son Paul, who grew up with Edison at Menlo Park. The note is attached to the wire. Autograph note signed, F.A. Wardlaw: "This is a piece of the original underground conductor that fed Edison's home, exactly like that used for yours and Batchelors, at the historic demonstration of the Edison electric light at Menlo fark, N.J. in 1880. It was the first underground cable ever used for this purpose. Taken from the earth by myself Sept. 29, 1933, after having been buried on the east side of Christie Street, just opposite your old home, for fifty-three years.""

A lot more to read about this at the above link.

Russ Kirk

If I recall correctly, CBS Sunday Morning recently had a story about Edison's home or work house. The story told about his building and how it was the first electrically powered building. The building is now owned and located at the Henry Ford Museum on Michigan. The new story showed the building and it had an aerial power feed in the vintage photographs. 

The story that about this item makes me suspicious. More investigation may be needed. 

Anyone can claim an object's history as we recently saw with the telephone from Hitler's bunker, in that case it turned out to be a fake.
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: Russ Kirk on November 20, 2017, 08:43:09 PM
If I recall correctly, CBS Sunday Morning recently had a story about Edison's home or work house. The story told about his building and how it was the first electrically powered building. The building is now owned and located at the Henry Ford Museum on Michigan. The new story showed the building and it had an aerial power feed in the vintage photographs. 

The story that about this item makes me suspicious. More investigation may be needed. 

Anyone can claim an object's history as we recently saw with the telephone from Hitler's bunker, in that case it turned out to be a fake.
I went to Greenfield Village a few years ago (before phone collecting), and saw Edison's home. I believe his home is original, but his laboratory there is an exact replica.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

AE_Collector

One would sort of suspect that if electricity were being demonstrated at the first few houses, chances are real good that the service would be overhead, not underground. I wonder where the electricity was coming from? Likely a small generator so it was probably right there somewhere.

Terry

TelePlay

I didn't see a claim that this was the first wire that provided power to his house. What I read was that this was the very first underground cable that he designed. So it may be his house had aerial wires but this piece was his next project of burying cables. The first buried cable. That's what I took it to be.

Whether or not it is or isn't, I don't know.