"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My "new" phone booth

Started by Russ Kirk, October 13, 2010, 01:12:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ Kirk

I just got this late last night.

I have been looking for a payphone booth for quite some time.  
I was looking for an authentic Western Electric wooden booth. But many of the booths have had one or more serious "issues": far away location, condition, finish color, missing parts, high cost, etc.    Since the booth would have to be placed in the living/great room and in my phone room, the missus would have input for the decorating/décor fit into the rest of the room.

When I found this booth on Craigslist I was pleasingly shocked by  the great price and look.  I did some research and believe it was made by the Pulaski Furniture Co in the early 80's.  At that time I think it went for around $2k,  much more than the $580 I paid.  

Well,  this booth is a great compromise, looks great and has the blessing from my interior decorator (my wife).

My chrome NE 233 pay station will be installed soon.  

Russ....
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

JorgeAmely

Russ:

It looks REALLY nice, very nice cabinetry finishes all around. And it seems to fit in that corner of the house perfectly.
Jorge

KeithB

It sure looks "new", and it's beautiful.  :o  :o  :o  I can't believe you got it so inexpensively.

The most recent vintage booth I saw was from Emory College near Atlanta.  They wanted $800, and it was NOWHERE near as beautiful as that one.  

HarrySmith

NICE ;D ;D

And with the wife's blessing, lucky man ::)
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

That is a beautiful phone booth.  I have never seen one with the glass and metal like that, very sharp.

I expect you could get a minimum of 1-2K from a collector.

What a great find,
Jim

I almost bought a "double door" booth once (2 non folding doors, inner and outer) it was $1,000. I just didn't have room for an indoor booth (still don't).

You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

KeithB

I'd certainly like to find / buy some measured drawings for such a booth.  I know the old BSP documents described the general dimensions, but for a beautiful piece of furniture, you need exact dimensions for EVERYTHING.

Dennis Markham

Russ, that is very very nice.  I've never seen one like that either. But there's a lot I haven't seen.

If you ever get in trouble with wife, ask if you can go there instead of in the dog house. :)

Russ Kirk

Quote from: KeithB on October 13, 2010, 03:33:42 PM
I'd certainly like to find / buy some measured drawings for such a booth.  I know the old BSP documents described the general dimensions, but for a beautiful piece of furniture, you need exact dimensions for EVERYTHING.

At the last Brea phone show I bought a copy of the Payphone History book.  On page 337 it shows the dimensions of many payphone booths.  Some were very small to large.  But none detailed enough to use for building your own.

One other person asked me how did I find this booth.  another member on this forum provided a link to FL fay boys (Harry?) on craiglook.com ,  this site allows one to search several regions for the same item.

- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

Jim Stettler

[/quote]

One other person asked me how did I find this booth.  
on craiglook.com ,  

[/quote]

Optimisiom, Perseverance, Determination, Patience and a bit of Good Karma helps too.

That glass panel sure has a "Frank Lloyd Wright" look to it.

Wright used to design  glass and furniture for his buildings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not saying that it is a panel of Wright designed glass, However, I would start some of my rresearch there.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It wouldn't surprise me if he did design a Booth or glass for one of his buildings.

Jim

IT is a Great Booth. If Frank Lloyd Wright designed it, well that is just a bonus.
You live, You learn,

KeithB

I went on craiglook this morning, but for some reason, people along the east coast think a vintage phone booth in barely fair shape is worth almost $1K, or if it's in decent shape, $2K.  It's really a shame.

bwanna

russ, what a lovely piece of furniture!

check this old topic to see my phone booth. unfortunately it still sitting in the barn, waiting take it's rightful place in the rec room. 
donna

Dennis Markham

bwanna

d'oh.. ::)  i made a tiny url & forgot to paste. thanks for havin' my back dennis!
donna

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Jim S. on October 13, 2010, 07:20:55 PM

One other person asked me how did I find this booth.  
on craiglook.com ,  

[/quote]

Optimisiom, Perseverance, Determination, Patience and a bit of Good Karma helps too.

That glass panel sure has a "Frank Lloyd Wright" look to it.

Wright used to design  glass and furniture for his buildings.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am not saying that it is a panel of Wright designed glass, However, I would start some of my rresearch there.

----------------------------------------------------------------
It wouldn't surprise me if he did design a Booth or glass for one of his buildings.
Jim

IT is a Great Booth. If Frank Lloyd Wright designed it, well that is just a bonus.
[/quote]

I was re-reading my post and it sounds awkward.

My point was:
I wonder if Wright ever designed a phone booth and if this was inspired by it.
It is a nice looking booth.

They were licensing some of Wrights Glass designs in the 80's.
JIm
You live, You learn,

Russ Kirk

Quote from: bwanna on October 13, 2010, 09:08:50 PM
russ, what a lovely piece of furniture!

check this old topic to see my phone booth. unfortunately it still sitting in the barn, waiting take it's rightful place in the rec room.  

A local antique store has two booths.  One similar to yours without the stammped tin - has a $1950 price tag, including a WE 233 w/o keys. It was finished on 3 sides finish and had some scratches on the sides.  It was NOT nice enough to display in the living room.  I read your thread and is sound like you got the two for a great price. That stampped tin is a real nice touch,  I don't see that very often.

Russ...  
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI