News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 544 B button & collar assembly

Started by HarrySmith, March 01, 2011, 10:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I recently got a 544 for my collection. It is my first multi line 500 series phone. I am working on cleaning it up for display, as usual I forgot before pictures but I have an issue. There is a screw missing from the bottom of the button strip. That I can replace but there is 2 brass pieces that were laying under it, obviously fell out but I cannot figure out where they go. I downloaded BSP's for the phone from the repository but they do not have any detailed info on the insides of the strip. I did a search for the strip, P - 43A835, but got no results. I have a picture of the pieces below, can anyone advise me as to where they go?
Thanks!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

Those go in a rail in between the buttons and are used so that when a button is pushed they slide over against a pin on the ajoining button to pop it up.  Therefore you can't press two buttons at once
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Thanks! I think I got it. Cannot be sure until I get it back togehter to test the buttons but looks correct.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

The photos look correct.

And on a further note.  If you did want to be able to press two buttons at the same time, they have actually provided for that possibility.  The pins on the buttons are actually screwed in.  The end of the pins have a slot for a screw driver.  If you back one of the pins out far enough for the wider part of the pin to no longer come in contact with the brass spacer, you can press two at once.  

* Update *   I just looked at your photos again.  It appears that only one pin on your switch assembly has the slot for a screwdriver.  The other two do not.

-Bill G

HarrySmith

Yes, I noticed that only one had a slot, I was curious as to why that was. That may be the hold button, I will have to look at it again when I get home.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

rdelius

The reason for the slot is so the button could be converted for a non locking button use. The others could not.
Robby

Phonesrfun

Robby:

You are correct, and I was incorrect.  The slotted pin is only to convert the button to a push-button from a locking button.  In order to push two down at a time, one would have needed to remove the triangular tabs entirely.  WHich probably would have raised heck with the key system to which the phone was connected.

-Bill G