"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Convertin AE 24 Dial To NE 5H

Started by jmillr, March 09, 2011, 07:23:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmillr

Hello,
I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to repairing old phones and have started to restore a beat up Northern Electric Galion.  After taking it apart I found that the dial had been replaced with an AE 24 dial, so trying to keep everything NE, I purchased an NE 5H dial.  However the AE24 dial has 4 wires running to it and the 5H has terminals for 5 wires.  I was wondering if I could use the 5H dial, and if so what is the proper wiring since I only have 4 wires coming from the phone to the dial.  Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks
-Jeff

RDP

jmillr, If I'm not mistaken, Northern Electrics came with AE dials a lot so, I don't believe it would be considered as a non-original dial to it.

Wallphone

According to the wiring diagram in the TCI Library if you use a WE #5 in the North Galion you don't use terminal W on the dial and therefore do not open the receiver circuit. Here is a link to the circuit.
> http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_details&gid=1964&Itemid=2 <
I have a diagram in a Northern Electric Catalog that shows how to hook up both AE & WE dials using all the dial terminals. If you need that, I can scan it for you.
Doug Pav

LarryInMichigan

I think that we are talking about a North Electric Galion.  I have one with a 5H dial, and it is wired accoring to the diagram and works well.  Note that the difference between the #2,4,5 WE dials and most others is that the WE dials have contacts which open when the dial is turned to disconnect the receiver (to acoid pulsing sounds in the caller's ear), while the other dials have contacts which close to shunt (bypass) the receiver.

Larry

Dennis Markham

As Larry pointed out, don't get confused with your North's. 

NORTH Electric made the so called "Galion" phone. 

NORTHERN Electric is the Canadian based company and did not manufacture the "Galion".

By the way, Jeff.  Welcome to the Forum!

Wallphone

I knew he was talking about a North Galion, and that was the diagram I posted. The reason I mentioned the Northern Catalog is because they have a diagram in it that shows how to wire a #5 dial using all the terminals including the W terminal which North doesn't use. It looks like both phones use the 101A coil so if Northern knows how to use all the terminals then there must be a way to wire the North Galion and use all the dial terminals too.
I should have said both use the 101A coil or a coil electrically equivalent to the 101A.
Doug Pav

GG

One more dumb question:  Do you mean a Northern Electric 5H dial, or a North Electric dial that a beginner might confuse for a 5-series dial due to the spacing of the holes in the fingerwheel?  A photo of the backside of your dial would be sufficient to know what needs to be done.

Some clarification might be in order about the phone itself.  There was a Northern Electric version of the 302 that looks kinda' like a North Electric Galion, and those were also found with a variety of dials on them but could/should have Northern Electric 5H dials.  (The most common version has a British GPO dial, which for some reason was common in Canada.)  A photo would also be helpful here. 

jmillr

Hi Guys,
Thank you to all for the quick reply and warm welcome.   I believe the schematic link was the one that I was looking for.  Also, I was not aware that Northern Electric phones sometimes used AE dials, so that is something that I will keep an eye out for.  The existing dial was very beaten up so I purchased a NE 5H dial on ebay for it.  I started getting in the phone this morning to replace the old dial and the phones wires were so brittle that they started breaking, so I'm going to hold off until the weekend so I can devote enough time to rewiring the entire phone, but I do believe the schematic link will do the trick.  I should know more this weekend. 

Thanks
-Jeff