News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing paint from nickel plated ABT cup

Started by Sargeguy, March 17, 2011, 10:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I have a nickel plated transmitter cup that has been painted black.  About 50% of the paint is left.  Already tried a few rounds of Citristip.  No dice.  I have it in lacquer thinner right now but its still not budging.  This paint is very stubborn.  If it was a brass cap I would sand off the remaining paint, but I don't want to mess up the nickel.  What next?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dencins

As long as the part is metal I use Klean-Strip Aircraft Paint Remover.  You can get it at Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart and several auto parts stores.  Not much odor and cleans up with water.  You put it on and let it sit for a few minutes.  It will cause multiple layers of paint to bubble up and can be rinsed off.  It keeps working until it gets to the metal surface.  If you get it on your hands it feels cool at first then burns so I wear gloves when using it.  Make sure to read the instructions.

Dennis

RDP

Sarge, I use Purple Power degreaser on just about everything and with an over night soak it'll take off paint and degrease it at the same time. Oh! and use gloves with it too, it's biodegradable but, it'll suck the moisture right out of your hands. And if you got old banged up, dried out paws like mine, you need as much moisture as you can get.
I'd be afraid that Aircraft stripper which I've used in the past will strip the old nickel off.

Sargeguy

Thanks.  I could not find the Kleen-Strip Aircraft stripper (Providence Lacquer Supply was closed when I got there).  So I bought Rustoleum Aircraft stripper instead.  I tried it for varying lengths of time.  Nothing under 20 minutes made a dent in it.  After sitting for an hour I had decent results but there is one patch that just won't budge.  I don't want to scrub to harshly and wear away the nickel around the spot.  I may try dunking it in Strip Eaze super Strip next.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Bell System vs. stripper Round 1

24 hrs. in Citri-Srtip just tickled the baked on enamel over nickel plating, time to take the gloves off (or put them on actually)

Bell System vs. stripper Round 2

Rustoleum Aircraft took off much of the paint but required longer periods
5 minutes-no effect
10 minutes-some loosening around the edges that scrubbed off
30 minutes-more softening and loosening, scrubbed of most of it with a scrubbing pad, nickel unharmed
30 minutes-95% gone, one area won't budge

Bell System vs. stripper Round 3

switched to Kleen-Strip

Kleen-Strip Aircraft:
5 minutes-no effect
10 minutes about 1/2 gone
30 minutes all of it scrubbed off with a few stubborn specks remaining

The Kleen Strip product worked better than the Rustoleum.  Rustoleum was 2/3 price.  The Rustoleum seems less caustic, the Kleen Strip, as Dennis already said, requires gloves.  The nickel seems intact except where it was already worn.

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409