News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pearce-Simpson Carib 130A Field radio

Started by guitar1580, January 05, 2020, 08:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

guitar1580

I don't know if these get discussed very often, but I thought that maybe out of a group of phone enthusiasts, someone may have seen one.

I'm trying to figure out the approximate age of this unit, and if & when it would have been used in the military.

The person who gave it to me said it was used in the military.  I've had it in storage for around 25 years.  I'm going to clean it up a little, and could not find out much about it.  If anyone knows anything at all about it, I'd appreciate the input.

Josh

Number, please!

I'm surprised that no one has responded yet.  Hang in there, this is the place for phone information!
Stu

guitar1580

Yes, well it is a little outside the scope of the style of phones we usually talk about, but I thought maybe someone would recognize it.  I haven't been able to find out much about it.

Jim Stettler

My impression is radio. Followed by a signal corp concept.
Try researching it under signal corp and you may get good info hits.
I think it is cool.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Pearce-Simpson made CB radios. That looks to me like an earlier CB 'radio phone'. Poss 1970's.

---------------

ETA: Internet search shows 130A licensed for use 1977.

Pearce-Simpson market was Marine (boats/yachts).

1967 publicity for Pearce-Simpson handset, image attached.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

My opinion is that it was  used aboard a boat and not military.I have many military radios and this looks to fancy . Look inside to see if tube or transistor. If tube  most likely 1950s or 1960s or so

guitar1580

Thanks very much for the insight, folks.  I agree, it's looking like a marine radio. 

Looking at the 1967 handset ad, those radios look like they have metal cabinets and not wood.  I'd expect the wooden cabinet would be slightly older.  I'll check for the vacuum tubes.

Josh

19and41

It must've been a relatively large boat too.  Usyallt the ones that I had worked on that were in the smaller, more open cabins, were usually pretty much thrashed after a relatively short period of time.  that looks nice for as old as it is.  Another thought, it could've been used on shore.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke