News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

701B not breaking dial tone

Started by Scott, December 30, 2018, 10:30:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdelius

There is a spark surpressor network between F and RR.When you dial the contacts open and close. Sparks might be produced and this can be dangerous or cause bad contacts. I suggest putting the wires under a unused terminal on the network such as "g" (ground ) pull the yellow line cord off if it is still connected there.

Ktownphoneco

VERY GOOD RDELIUS !      Sorry Scott, I wasn't aware of that circuit being present in the 701B and missed it completely.     Glad you were able to get it working correctly.

Jeff

Scott

In your opinion would you keep the yellow wire in place and add the two wires from the F terminal if you still wanted the light to work? I tried it and everything functioned the way it should. Any possible long tern consequences I should worry about? I also looked back in the archives and found in April of this year someone else fixed a problem by by-passing the F terminal. Is the spark suppressor the only thing the F terminal does?
Thank you for your help. CRPF rocks!

Scott K.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: rdelius on December 31, 2018, 03:40:45 PM
There is a spark suppressor network between F and RR.When you dial the contacts open and close. Sparks might be produced and this can be dangerous or cause bad contacts. I suggest putting the wires under a unused terminal on the network such as "g" (ground ) pull the yellow line cord off if it is still connected there.
I think the Bell reason was to protect the contacts.
Just my guess,
Jim S.

Can the spark suppressor be replaced with a discrete  component to keep the circuit "proper" .  Something like adding a ringer cap to replace a bad cap on the network.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Key2871

Well that's great. I didn't know that those has suppressors in them.
KEN

rdelius

It is an LC network (Inductor-Capacator) filter circuit. The capacitor is a much smaller value than the ringer capacitor.I would not worry about bypassing it.Many older circuits did not have this.

Scott

Another nice telephone saved for future generations to enjoy. It's little, It's lovely, It lights, and thanks to rdelius it dials. Thank you to everyone that gave their input. I learned some great information I can use the next time a dial is not working properly. Be safe tonight!

Doug Rose

Kidphone

Key2871

NICE Scott, glad you got it working again.
KEN