News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Weather related issues, false holds and switched lines problem ... and the solution

Started by Babybearjs, January 06, 2019, 11:53:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

Ken, I fully understand. but at the time that I built the system, money was and even still is the problem. Had I known about splices back then, I would have grabbed the wire faster then. its frustrating, to have a system that's cobbled together and only half of it is wired right. (well, almost) I wish I had been able to grab some 100 foot sections but at the time, they only were offering 50-60 foot cuts (end of the spool) so I worked with what I had. last year when I got the idea to rerun the lines using 4 4 pair cables in home runs, it sounded great...until I started to do it. in order to replace 3 of the runs I had furniture in the way that prohibited me from accomplishing my goal... and the 4th run is the shed... over 100 feet away from my KTS and I didn't have enough wire. so.. here I am planning this thing out for the umpteenth time in hopes of getting it right. so... aside from the splices, what would make my system act up like this? I pickup line 1 and line 2 goes into a false hold. I hang up line 1 and line 2 resets and hangs up also. my next step is to unplug the 2 phones that I have with the reversed lines and see if that's where the problem lies... of so, then problem solved. if not, then I have to check my wiring... I have a feeling its the sets... I'll let you know.
John

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on January 09, 2019, 12:12:59 AM
. so... aside from the splices, what would make my system act up like this?
Dirt and moisture and rodents and bugs and things like like. Inadequate support of the cables can cause problems as well.
The best advice is to use proper materials and methods when you redo your install.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

Yes, I agree. BUT....I did isolate the problem... I have discovered that the issue is originating from Station #9, My Shed...  I pulled the bridging clip off of the 66 block that fees stations 8 and 9, front porch and shed, and the problem left.... so... I have to go and check my wiring out in my shed... I have a 66 block out there and will inspect it in the morning... I'm wondering if there is a broken wire... or something like that... anyway... the problem is identified and is being addressed.  oh, and here are some pictures for you guys...
John

Doug Rose

You can lead a horse to water....but you can't make home float on his back
Kidphone

Babybearjs

;D Unless he's dead...  :D anyway, here are some more photos for you all... all the troubleshooting came out clear. no issues were found. I'm wondering if there is a pinched wire somewhere... I'm still checking. crazy...
John

Babybearjs

:-[ totally embarrassing! on my other thread about line quality, I tested, and tested to find where my problem was... everything was checking out fine, yet the problem persisted. so, I pulled the orange pair off my 66 block and checked the lines for any continuity. negative... everything checked fine. then I decided to pull the actual jack and see if that's where the problem laid. took the jack and took a hard look at it and was noticing some slight corrosion... so I decided to switch it out... problem solved! OMG! I checked everything! thinking it was the wiring when all along it was a bad jack. SO, for all you techs in the field... how do you rate using the "Keystone" Jacks on a system? what kind of quality have you encountered and what brands do you swear by? The location of this Jack is outdoors and the phone stays plugged in all the time. The jacks are in a weather tight box and are in a covered area. So, you would think the installation would last for years... well, this one was.... until this last month... why, I cant say, just had to switch it out... now my problems solved! crazy isin't it?
John

Jim Stettler

>Modified<
My favorite jack for outdoor applications is a weatherproof  weatherproof-in-use jack.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Babybearjs

John

Key2871

Just looking at the work, it's amazing it even works.
I redid a system teminatination point one time. A job I thought an hour or so it'll be good, it took me two and a half hours to finish it. It was that bad, a twenty station digital job.
I wish I took a picture of it, because I've seen rats nests before (reffuring to the mess of wires) and that job was THE worse I've ever seen. But yours looks kinda close. Point is any and I stress ANY loose OR corroded wire will reek havoc on the lines.
Do you try to keep these connections up off the ground at all? I see your punch field is up off the ground and that's good, but in your pictures it looks like some are just laying around on the ground... That's bad. Keep these up at least a foot two is way better.

Ken
KEN

Doug Rose

Suggestions are welcome but for the past 10 years have been ignored. If the moisture and dirt does not get you, the animals will. See you again in three months.  Kid no idea what I am talking about but this sure is fun phone
Kidphone

Key2871

Well John in all fairness, your work is way better than that infamous job I did. At least the punch field was four feet off the ground. Now here's an easy fix, all you have to do is twist a couple wires, leaving about an inch and a quarter un twisted, wipe any dirt off make sure the ends are cut clean.

Slip a scotchlok on the end fully inserting the wire, then crimp with pliers. YOUR done. Easy fix for all your splice problems. Seal and connect at the same time!

YOU can find a box of 100 on eBay, or anywhere for under $20. Half the price of a 2830 telephone set with shipping.
Simply twist a couple wires wipe the insulation and cut and slide those baby's on and crimp! No more stripping wires and wrapping them around a screw terminal and tightening the screw... Imagine that! Wipe, cut crimp and done. Bingo.

Sealed splices, no moisture, no loose or corroded connections. YOUR issues are now at least cut in half.

Sound like a good idea??

Here you go, a cheap fix

https://www.ebay.com/itm/100-PCS-GENUINE-3M-UR2-Butt-Type-Scotchlok-Connector-26-19-AWG/332270186588

?epid=2254336735&hash=item4d5cd8b05c:g:XUEAAOSw1BlZRvh2:sc:USPSFirstClass!03254!US!-1
KEN