News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dennis Markham's Phones - Lightning Strikes Twice - Model 500H

Started by Dennis Markham, April 18, 2014, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Thank you, Mr. Bones.  Refurbishing them just takes some time and patience.  I can see why some like to just leave them as found.  For the most part, I like to make them look pretty again witout disturbing originality.

Paul, I was in the right place at the right time on this second 500H.  Since I have one already I would have rather that it had been a Mediterranean Blue "mushroom", but the 500H I think may be as hard to find.  I will examine the finger wheels to see if the this one from '55 is thicker like the '54 model from a few months earlier.

I believe this mounting cord is an original.  It's cloth covered and has six conductors.  Referencing the article in the TCI's Singing Wires (August 2009), it is mentioned that original 500H mounting cords were cloth covered and 6 conductor.  Two of these wires had the spade tips taped.  At least they were taped, and not cut. 

I did connect the wires to a 4 prong plug this morning, connected a transformer and it lights as it should.  Well, it lit after I changed the #46 bulb.  The original was black inside and would not illuminate.  Another wire move and it rings.  So it's a working 500H.  Now it just needs a bath.  By the way, the crack in the front is like a loose tooth....it's hanging by a thread so the entire corner will have to be glued. :(