News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A Few Phones.... 302's and a 5302 - George Knighton

Started by George Knighton, December 21, 2012, 09:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Knighton

I'm just starting out and continue to show my idiocy periodically, but this is what I've put together so far.

There are some project phones that I'm not showing.  I'll be assembling working phones from out of the various parts that work, and discarding things that are obviously too scarred up to use, or which just don't work.

I started out with 302's and those are the projects scatter around the house.  Somehow along the way the past few weeks I got interested in 701's and 702's.  Not sure how that happened except they're just...neat.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Here is a bunch of photos of my 5302.  Of the phones that work, this one seems to be the best.

Thanks to Paul F for the education about 5302's.  He's generously shared some information via email and put me on the right course with some things.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Just a few more of my favourite.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

This is a 302 on my desk in my home office.

It's a little over polished.  It also has a Rotatone installed, because there are rare occasions that I'll need DTMF, and the POTS line is very cheap to use compared to any cell service.

Sorry if the Rotatone is a heresy.  :-)

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

This is a project phone that I'm taking my time with.

You can see the lines in the transmitter and receiver cap, but there's another ivory handset on the way, one that's virtually perfect.

I have everything I need to finish this.  I've installed the line cord and given it a try, and it works 100%!  This was kind of a surprise to me, but it's very welcome.

It's really a 306, not a 302.  It was converted to single line use at some point in the device's history.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

This is a 302 put together and hooked up for both display and occasional use in the western sitting room.

It looks "okay" but you'll see that the paint job isn't the very best in the world if you get within a couple of inches of it.  :-)  It's okay for what it's doing.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Working perfectly, and decent looking if not perfect, this one's in between the morning room and the kitchen, in a little nook that people might've called a butler's pantry in the art deco days.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

I am not absolutely sure where I'm going with this.

I've been wet sanding the black paint off of it and thinking about how to repaint it.  I have a very good base set from 1952 that I'll use as the foundation.

I'm wondering, since I have an ivory handset on the way for my ivory 302, if perhaps I'd get away with painting this metal ivory and using the slightly less visually pleasing ivory handset on this metal shell.

Not sure, yet.  Got a few 5H dials and a spare 4H, courtesy of Steve Hilsz.

It'll come together somehow.  :-)

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Decent looking white 701.

There's a transformer kit on the way for it.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

A black 702 stuck in a back room upstairs.

This hasn't polished up very well, yet, but I'm working on it.  :-)

The transformer kit might or might not work on it.  I'll just have to give it a try.

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Coming up....

I'm talking to Vern P about his Old Rose 302.

He cannot take any pictures of it, so I'm not rushing and although I hate to do anything even remotely insulting, I'll ask in his Classifieds thread about who he is and can he be taken at 100% face value.

:-)  No offence intended.  I'm just very new here and don't know anybody very well yet.

There's also a beige 702 on the way.  It went at eBay for like $10.00 including shipping so I couldn't stop myself.  I can put it in a female-oriented bedroom upstairs.
Annoying new poster.

HarrySmith

Pretty cool collection!
It is not legal to hang the handset with the cord on the opposite side  ;D
Vern is one of the good guys! Been in this phone thing longer than most of us have been alive!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

George Knighton

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 22, 2012, 02:57:52 PM
It is not legal to hang the handset with the cord on the opposite side  ;D
There's two toddlers in the house.  I'm probably lucky the cord's still attached.

QuoteVern is one of the good guys! Been in this phone thing longer than most of us have been alive!
I've just enhanced my collection, courtesy of him, by one Old Rose 302 and one Ivory 354.  :-)  I'll take photos when they get here sometime around St Basil's, I guess.
Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

Here is the beige 702 that I said was on the way.

I don't like beige, but this was very cheap and intact.  Works well but obviously needs a good cleaning.

This is another post-1961 that has the rubber knotty mat that a reference site says was discontinued in 1961.  I guess the site's just wrong.  Wrote the guy running the site that there might be a mistake.

Annoying new poster.

poplar1

It may be a  the mat with a uniform pattern of  perpindicular lines (xxxxxxxxxx) that was discontinued.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.