News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Unusual Small Wall Phone - Value???

Started by Systemagic, July 16, 2010, 01:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Systemagic

I found a small wall phone at a garage sale and am unable to find anything like it on-line.  I hope that someone here will be able to help me. 

I buy and sell stuff on eBay/Craiglist and have resold many phones in the past.  I'm trying to determine fair value for this phone. 

Here's the way I've just rewritten for Craigslist:

"Small Black 40's? Vintage Rotary Wall Phone. Extemely Rare. Measures only 7 inches in height. No markings.  One of the two interior screws is missing which holds the top of the housing together. Replacement requires removal of the dialing mechanism. The dial has no return spring. There's no line out. If anyone has any information about this model of phone please get in touch. "

I found one of similar size called a "space saver", with the dial extending from the top, in good condition, sellng for $275.

Here's are the photos:

http://images.craigslist.org/3n33oa3l05V65Q15S2a75cd86af9b819a10e2.jpg
http://images.craigslist.org/3n73pe3l15W35U15X3a776e732685030611aa.jpg

( dead links 04-02-21 )

Sorry.  I don't seem to know how to use the image insertion button.

Greg G.

Welcome to the group!  I think that's an Automatic Electric Type 43 Space Saver.  I don't know what year they were made.

To insert a photo, click on "Additional Options".  Where it says "Attach", click on the browse button then find the picture on your computer.  If you want more than one picture in the same post, click on the link "(more attachments)".
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

It is an Automatic Electric 43A Space Saver. Made from around 1940 to 1960 give or take a year or two. They aren't particularly valuable. I've seen them from $30 to $60 in average condition.

After this model came the 83A spacesaver. The only difference was that they had the newer type 81 handset and were now available in about 10 different colors.

After that was the 183A which is probably the one you mentioned that has the dial on a swivel up top...sort of like my Avatar.

Terry

Systemagic

Wow!  You guys are really knowledgeable and fast!  Thanks, so much, to both of you.  As a result I've listed the phone on Craigslist for $45 (CAD) allowing for some bargaining room.

It seems to me that the missing screw under the dial could have been a design problem that, at least in part, precipitated the relocating of the dial on the top of the body.  That, and the fact that the new swivel dial would allow for location of the phone in more places – like on the end of a wall.  The internal, sub-dial, body screws may have been prone to backing off and dropping out.

If anyone here knows how to get under the dial I'd be interested in learning about it.  Removing the metal finger hole, dialer, number plate, and finger stopper is relatively easy but there are no more screws removable from the top side.  It just seems like the circular mechanism sits tightly in the circular body housing.  Removal doesn't look easy and I fear damaging something undertaking to do so without the propre knowledge (or tools?). 

OTOH Maybe I should just leave such work to a restoration pro in light of the apparent negligible extra dollars it would bring in for the improved condition.

Thanks again!

LarryInMichigan

The dial is held in place by screws which tighten onto two posts sticking out of the back of the dial.  In this picture, you can see the holes into which the posts slide and the screws which hold the posts in-place.

Larry

AE_Collector

Glad you posted the pictures Larry. I was wondering how to explain those screws to "Systemagic" but it didn't occur to me to take a picture.

Where in Canada are you Systemagic? I'm just outside of Vancouver.

Terry

Systemagic

Systemagic

(Someone came to the door, etc., just when I started to write my last post.)

Thanks for the pic. Larry.  That's much simpler than I thought.  I may play with it again later when I have time.  I'll probably just be a matter, then, of finding a screw with the proper thread to replace the one that's missing.

It'll still be wanting a dial spring but at least the look, feel, and heft will be much improved.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Systemagic on July 17, 2010, 10:02:39 PM
Terry,

I"m in North Burnaby.

Coquitlam here. 10 miles from you I guess...small world.

What is wrong with the dial spring? What does the dial do when you try to dial? Nothing at all or snap back to the normal resting position instantly?

Terry

stub

Systemagic ,
                    The  8/32 X 1/2 inch long, flat head holds the dial housing in place, and  6/32 X 1/2 inch long, flat head holds the dial in the housing . The dial  can be fixed also, just let us know when you want to start !!!!!  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Systemagic

Well, I opened it up (very easy) and found that the sole screw holding the top housings together is significantly bent, having been levered back so many times - so I need two  8/32 X 1/2 inch long (thanks Stub) screws.  Looking through my screw collection I found none that matched.  Forgive my ingnrorance: Can they be bought indifidually or do I have to buy a $10 box of screws to increase the phone's value by $5?

With regards to the dial spring - the dial does nothing at all when dialed.  It behaves like it has no spring or a broken spring.

BTW I saw an interesting phone at a flea market yesterday.  It looked much like a Western Electric 302.  The overall appearance was poor.  Every inch of it was scuffed.  It had a rubber base which was slightly distended on one side and the dial snapped back immediately with no resistance when turned.  It was marked $35.  I went back to look at it several times but ultimately balked.  Did I miss out on a reasonable deal?
'

AE_Collector

Looked sort of like a 302 + had a rubber base + you are in BC (old GTE / AECo area) = AECo 40.  $35 normally a good price (as long as there are NO cracks in the bakelite) but sounds like it was fairly beat up. If it happened to have the chrome banded handset caps then $35 was a great price.

The dial on your 43A just spins around the full 360 degrees wit hno resistance at all?

Should be able to get the screws you need somewhere that sells them bulk but I can't think where to tell you to go for them.

Terry

stub

Systemagic,
                   Can you post a pic of the back of your dial? Should be able to get the screws at a hardware or electrical store.  Can you feel any resistance in the dial when you trun it.?   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Systemagic

Terry - Thanks for the info re the AECo 40.  There were no chrome banded hanset caps.   Should there be a next time I may offer $30 then.

The dial on the 43A kind of bumps along untill the finger stop is met when turning clockwise.  Manually turning it counterclockwise it encounters the normal resistance that a dial does when returning to its set position.

Stub - I'm a tad busy but will try to photograph the back of the dial when I have a chance.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Systemagic on July 19, 2010, 02:23:50 PM
The dial on the 43A kind of bumps along untill the finger stop is met when turning clockwise.  Manually turning it counterclockwise it encounters the normal resistance that a dial does when returning to its set position.

So the dial doesn't even attempt to return unless you push it along. There is a spring around the centre shaft of the dial that sounds as though it might have become disconnected. It sort of clips into the shaft allowing you to unclip ity and add or remove a turn to adjust the tension.

Need a picture of the back of the dial.

Terry