News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

634 or 684 SUBSET

Started by Phoniac, January 24, 2011, 07:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoniac

I was wondering what I should pay for a WE 634 or 684 subset for my WE D1 /202. Being out of phones for so long I see alot of higher and lower prices on items and I'm really not sure what the norm is. Would you all be gracious enough to let new know? eBay is my only source because I'm unable to get around much besides being out in the sticks shall we say.

Wallphone

Just keep an eye on them for a week or so to see how much they are going for and in what condition. $50 to $75 seems to be the norm lately. Another way to go is buy a beat up WE 302 for under $20 + S&H and get a cover for it that Ray Kotke makes at Telephonecreations.com and turn the base of the 302 into a subset. The covers go for $20 or $25. There are drawings on how to wire it in the TCI Library. If you buy a 302 beater try to get one with a dial for a bonus. One time I bought one with a broken housing for $15 and it had a WE #2 converted to a #4 in it. That was one of my lucky times.

Phoniac

Nope, no reproductions for me. I gotta have the real McCoy. I'll keep a look out for one. But, $75 sounds a bit steep I'll keep my sights on $50. Thank you Wallphone

Bill

For local shopping, as opposed to online shopping, it depends a lot on where you are. "Out in the sticks" may not be a bad thing. Last summer I bought a 634A for about $10 in an Antique Shoppe. But that was in the midwest, I think northern Indiana, where the terrible state of the economy has hit particularly hard and entire towns seem to be dying.

If you can get out, check a few of the small shops.

Bill

Doug Rose

Quote from: Phoniac on January 24, 2011, 09:35:52 PM
Nope, no reproductions for me. I gotta have the real McCoy. I'll keep a look out for one. But, $75 sounds a bit steep I'll keep my sights on $50. Thank you Wallphone
I have a working 684, I think, I'll check when I get home. It has a modular cord to the wall and the line cord to connect to the 202, sorry D1 that is for sale....Doug
Kidphone

Phoniac

Thank you Kidphone, I have a WE202 D-1 but, I've been using a network from a 500 set with a AE ringer box and was wanting to upgrade finally to the proper network and box. Let me know.

bingster

Run this search:

Quote("western electric","bell system") (ringer,subset,subscriber)
...every once in a while, and watch some.  I guarantee you'll not only find one for less than $75, but you'll likely find one for less than $50.  Perseverance will pay off.
= DARRIN =

Phoniac