News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Pre-war Blue 302 initial cleanup

Started by JimH, November 06, 2014, 12:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimH

Thanks, Jim.  This is all really excellent information.  I've decided that since I'm painting the metal pick up blue, I might as well paint the plungers.  Blue cords from OPW.  At least it will look correct. 
Jim
Jim H.

WEBellSystemChristian

Hey, Jim!

Any updates with this phone lately? It's been almost 4 months, and we haven't been filled in with anything! ::)
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

JimH

Thanks for asking!  I bought a black 302 from 1940 to use as the "guts" of the phone.  I was able to buy the original handset capsules from the same lady I bought the plastics from.  I bought new cords from OPW.  I perfectly matched the color and painted both the pick up and the plungers.  The case had shrunk slightly, so I carefully sanded the opening for the dial until I could get one to fit without being too snug.  Same for the plunger holes.  I rolled up sandpaper and carefully sanded them out until the plungers fit loosely.  At first I sanded a pair of plungers down so they'd fit, but they looked too skinny and did not look "right".  The paint on the plungers adds a bit of size to them, but they fit perfectly now.  I had to file the inside sides of the metal pick up so it would fit...it fits perfectly now.  Being that these plastics were taken off its base years ago saved it from cracking.  There are no cracks in it, and there would certainly be some if it were left on a base.  The only thing left to do is modify the "chassis" or base because it will not fit as it is now.  I'm not going to grind into the plastics, so I've decided to grind the corners of the base, or crimp them in, as I've read about methods in previous threads.  It's been so cold here in Michigan, and my grinder is in the garage, I've put that on hold until now.  I have a couple of spare 302 bases I'm going to practice on first.  I haven't found a 1940 5J dial, but I do have one from 1947 with the thick finger wheel and "lever" mechanism to remove the finger wheel that I might use.  If I ever find one, I can swap it out (The dial in the pictures is not the one I'm going to use).  Now that it's warming up, I'm going to get it finished.  I'll keep you posted!

Jim
Jim H.

unbeldi

Would you share the specs on the paint you matched?  Was this a special mix or an off-the-shelf tone?

JimH

Quote from: unbeldi on March 13, 2015, 09:12:48 AM
Would you share the specs on the paint you matched?  Was this a special mix or an off-the-shelf tone?

I started with Rustoleum Royal Blue and added Rustoleum Hunter Green to it until the color matched.  I thinned it with paint thinner, and sprayed it with a Preval sprayer. 

Jim
Jim H.

unbeldi

Quote from: JimH on March 13, 2015, 10:45:49 AM
Quote from: unbeldi on March 13, 2015, 09:12:48 AM

I started with Rustoleum Royal Blue and added Rustoleum Hunter Green to it until the color matched.  I thinned it with paint thinner, and sprayed it with a Preval sprayer. 

Jim

Thanks much.

At one time I matched the blue plastic to a version of Sherwin-Williams Regatta Blue or Georgian Bay Blue, IIRC.

Doug Rose

Jim....it looks tremendous,,,,what a fine job you have done....Doug
Kidphone