News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE #7 dial not rotating properly

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, July 11, 2015, 10:40:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

One of my #7 dials is spinning less freely whenever I turn it towards the fingerstop. It's as if the governor is spinning with the dial whenever I turn it clockwise.

Anybody know what I can do to solve this problem?
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

RotarDad

Christian - You probably know this already, but you could try to adjust the gear train by loosening the screws that hold it to the dial casting.  The one screw hole is oblong to allow for a small amount of adjustment.  Each dial seems to be a little different - you may find this one needs a tweak there.   I also had a dial on a 565 that didn't spin well, and I eventually determined that the gear train wasn't exactly parallel with the large center gear.  I ended up adding a tiny shim (a small bit of thin sheet metal) in one spot under the gear train to correct the alignment and all is well now.  Hope this helps.
Paul

Phonesrfun

There could be some corrosion or rust on the one-way clutch for the governor.  A spring -type clutch prevents the governor from being engaged during dial wind-up, but engages it when the dial shaft and gear train reverse direction in the wind-down.  If corroded, it could be engaging the governor in both directions, making it more difficult to wind the dial up.
-Bill G

WEBellSystemChristian

I don't think it's corrosion; the dial mech is immaculate. I also noticed it worked perfectly before I restored the phone, and now it's acting weird. The mech was probably loosed up when I look the dial bezel off. I'll take a look at it in a bit.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

andre_janew

Could one of the screws for the dial bezel be in the wrong place?  An extra long screw in the wrong place could create a drag on the dial mechanism.

Matilo Telephones

Is the fingerstop bent, inhibiting the fingerwheel?
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

NorthernElectric

Another thought; did any of the wires possibly get pushed up into the mechanism when you reinstalled the dial?
Cliff

andre_janew

At any rate, it something didn't get put back together right.  When you figure out what it is, you'll probably feel foolish for not thinking of it in the first place!