News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

5400 series phones

Started by Babybearjs, November 20, 2015, 11:43:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I just recently purchased a 5302 phone. while reading through a BSP I came across a reference for the 5400 series phone. Did W.E. make a "Hybrid" 5400 series multiline phone? (e.g. 5464)? If so, are there any surviving? if so, I'd love to see a photo of this phone....
John

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 20, 2015, 11:43:53 PM
I just recently purchased a 5302 phone. while reading through a BSP I came across a reference for the 5400 series phone. Did W.E. make a "Hybrid" 5400 series multiline phone? (e.g. 5464)? If so, are there any surviving? if so, I'd love to see a photo of this phone....

Please tell us what is the number of the BSP is so we can understand the context of what you are quoting.

unbeldi

No, that is not documented, the record only shows the 5410, the conversion from the 410.

*C32.567 i1 5604, 5300 and 5400 Series; Telephone Sets; Installation and Maintenance
*C32.568 i1 5602, Telephone Sets; 5300 and 5400 Series; Ordering Apparatus and Piece Parts
*C32.569 i1 5603, Telephone Sets; 5300 and 5400 Series; Identification
*C32.570 i1 5605, Telephone Sets; 5300 and 5400 Series; Assembly of Parts
*C38.551 i1 5708, Telephone Sets—302E, G, 5302G; Common Battery—Connections
*C38.685 i1 5709, Telephone Sets—5300 Series;Identification and Assembly of Parts
*C38.909 New Jersey Bell Telephone Company, Plant Letter No. 940, 1958-04-11, Telephone Sets – Selection and Use of Black Combined Telephone Sets (HC-HC53-HC5)

Converting business sets for key telephone systems would probably not have made economic sense.

WEBellSystemChristian

Quote from: G-Man on November 21, 2015, 04:36:39 AM

Please tell us what is the number of the BSP is so we can understand the context of what you are quoting.

I can't provide the number, but I'm sure he's talking about the 5410, a two-line 5302.
http://paul-f.com/we300typ.htm (at the bottom of the 5300 section)

I'm pretty sure WE never made a 5400 multilune; first of all because the internals of the 400 series were so much bulkier than the 302 and designed around the H1-style housing that a sleeker, lower shape wasn't very possible.

Second because the 5302's primary use was to fill the styling void that the 500 couldn't easily fill in time in people's homes. The office buildings (400 series' habitat ;) ) were less about form over function, and someone in charge of ordering telephone equipment would rather keep the well-working (and still somewhat new) 400 series phones, and also not have to possibly pay several cents more just for a new look.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Babybearjs

Interesting..... so... the 5410 was they only one, huh?? well that answers that question. funny, you would think that ma bell was actively pushing new technology to their customers... constantly suggesting they upgrade to the next big thing... for business and residential. thank you for the input. the original BSP was about the line cords... the 5400 reference was made when covering the 5300 phones. yes, I must admit, the 5300 phone would have been more popular since there was a suburban building boom going on across America... in the 50's... more homes then businesses were going up.... thanks for the help in solving the question....
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 21, 2015, 12:41:18 PM
Interesting..... so... the 5410 was they only one, huh?? well that answers that question. funny, you would think that ma bell was actively pushing new technology to their customers... constantly suggesting they upgrade to the next big thing... for business and residential.
The next big thing was the 500-series of telephones, not some refurbs. But the problem was that with the upgrade to the 500s, that did occur, large numbers (millions) of 300-series sets were returned to the shops, sets that had not reached their design life of 20 years yet, and therefore represented a loss to the company if retired prematurely. The new housings made them almost as attractive as a new 500 set and kept the budgets for new equipment lower.

thank you for the input. the original BSP was about the line cords... the 5400 reference was made when covering the 5300 phones. yes, I must admit, the 5300 phone would have been more popular since there was a suburban building boom going on across America... in the 50's... more homes then businesses were going up.... thanks for the help in solving the question....

The reissue with new housings probably also mitigated the pressure on manufacturing slightly, as the demand for new service indeed was high.

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 21, 2015, 12:41:18 PM
funny, you would think that ma bell was actively pushing new technology to their customers... constantly suggesting they upgrade to the next big thing...
It was the opposite. The residential customers wanted the sleek new 500 set (w/adjustable ringer). The 5302 filled the need while using existing inventory. When equipped with the G style handset most customers didn't realize the difference between the 2 models.

JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

I agree with Jim.  Ma Bell was most interested in using up the old inventory and less interested in moving everyone to new sets.  In fact, not only did they have the problem where everyone wanted the new sets and they were trying to use up the old guts, but they did not have millions and millions of the new sets made up.  Going out to every home and business and replacing sets was a very costly proposition.

On short to medium loops, the new technology of the 500's gave little to no volume improvement over the 300 series phones, so there was no incentive for the phone company to use new sets there.  In fact when inventory was in short supply, the directive was to install the 300 or 5300 sets and not a 500.

Where the 500's were being pushed was on longer loops where the new sets would provide better volume or even eliminate the need for a set with a local battery on the longer loops.
-Bill G

Babybearjs

and its funny, when you put the 302 and a 500 next to each other the 302 is smaller and lighter then the 500.... I guess that's why I love them so much... plus the "Art Deco" appeal.  both the 300 and the 400 series phones are my favorite.  they are so much fun to take apart and put back together.... just too simple.
John

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 21, 2015, 02:21:24 PM
and its funny, when you put the 302 and a 500 next to each other the 302 is smaller and lighter then the 500.... I guess that's why I love them so much... plus the "Art Deco" appeal.  both the 300 and the 400 series phones are my favorite.  they are so much fun to take apart and put back together.... just too simple.
It would still help if you could cite the BSP you were reading.

Babybearjs

frustrating, I thought I had saved the file, and couldn't find it. went to the TCI library and found the 5400 reference... in the C32.xxx files, CB Sets. I initially found the reference in a handset (or line ) cord listing.... now, I can't find it.... anyway, My initial question has been answered.... the 5400 series only covered the 5410/11 desksets. I thought that there would be more phones listed, but no.....
John

G-Man

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 22, 2015, 02:21:03 AM
frustrating, I thought I had saved the file, and couldn't find it. went to the TCI library and found the 5400 reference... in the C32.xxx files, CB Sets. I initially found the reference in a handset (or line ) cord listing.... now, I can't find it.... 
Thanks for looking!

Babybearjs

I get frustrated with it because I find something and then pass it by, then when I go to try to find it again, I can't....
John