News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

#5 dial plate with unusual typeface

Started by baldopeacock, January 26, 2011, 09:56:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

baldopeacock

This doesn't appear to be the usual typeface that WE used on this style plate.

Anyone seen this before - maybe not WE?

Phoniac

Not that I'm any expert by the farthest stretch of imagination, because I'm NOT but, It almost looks like to ME a peel and stick number plate. Have you removed the finger wheel yet to inspect?

baldopeacock

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Phoniac on January 26, 2011, 10:14:10 AM
It almost looks like to ME a peel and stick number plate.

Exactly what I was thinking too.  It looks like an overlay, available at Oldphoneworks.  They do look nice considering the alternative on some porcelain plates where the letters/numbers are worn.  But if this one for sale on eBay, consider that in the purchase price.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on January 26, 2011, 11:01:59 AM
Quote from: Phoniac on January 26, 2011, 10:14:10 AM
It almost looks like to ME a peel and stick number plate.

Exactly what I was thinking too.  It looks like an overlay, available at Oldphoneworks.  They do look nice considering the alternative on some porcelain plates where the letters/numbers are worn.  But if this one for sale on eBay, consider that in the purchase price.
The Oldphoneworks overlays are actually quite nice and really tough to tell if you don't inspect the edges. Take the finger wheel off, is it even porcelain? Looks plastic....Doug
Kidphone

baldopeacock

It's an eBay item, but I didn't want to ruin anyone's chances if they're bidding.... and if you're cussing me now for spoiling the auction, I apologize.   I'm trying not to!

I'm just curious about that font.  I've seen the Oldphoneworks overlays, but haven't seen an overlay with this typeface.   It doesn't resemble any typical 164A dial plate that I've seen before.   It's getting a lot of bids so someone must think it has some value other than being another 5H dial.   ????

Phoniac

Quote from: baldopeacock on January 26, 2011, 01:05:05 PM
It's an eBay item, but I didn't want to ruin anyone's chances if they're bidding.... and if you're cussing me now for spoiling the auction, I apologize.   I'm trying not to!

I'm just curious about that font.  I've seen the Oldphoneworks overlays, but haven't seen an overlay with this typeface.   It doesn't resemble any typical 164A dial plate that I've seen before.   It's getting a lot of bids so someone must think it has some value other than being another 5H dial.   ????
Just an observation but, either someone is a untrained bidder or he may be a shill.

Dan/Panther

Dollars to Donuts I bet it home made.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

baldopeacock

Quote from: Dan/Panther on January 26, 2011, 02:13:48 PM
Dollars to Donuts I bet it home made.
D/P

I think you're right, D/P.   Closer look shows that the letters are really uneven.

rdelius

This one reminds me of the VTS Korean reproduction that did not fit very well.
Robby

Sargeguy

It reminds me of my fake ID in college
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

LarryInMichigan

I can't believe that the bid is up to $34 already, and it doesn't even have the card retainer parts.  I will never understand these things ???

Larry