"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Touch Tone Rotary?

Started by Ed D, January 29, 2011, 10:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed D

Hi folks,

Now, I've never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, and if there's a more difficult way to accomplish a simple task, I will take the long and winding road every time.  And I'm even more dangerous when I don't have a clue how something actually works.  That said, here is my dilemma...

I want to set up a home office using a rotary phone.  No problem until I make a call that requires me to "Enter 1 for Accounting, Enter 2 for Customer Service..." or "Enter your Account Number."

Well, the easy fix is to have two phones - one rotary and one touch tone.  BUT that would be TOO easy.

Is there any way on earth to attach a touch tone pad to either a WE 302 or 500, so you can dial rotary (or touch tone) and be able to enter account numbers, etc. using the pad?

I would want to mount the pad in a standalone box that can be kept to the side, and only used when needed.

Any thoughts, or is my mind too far gone to be of further use to me or anyone else? 

Thanks,
Ed

Jim Stettler

Your simple solution is a panisonic hybrid KSU. try for a 616 @ less than $100 delivered.
After you get it. Post a message asking if they are cool.

They are, you will learn why and you will be happy.
Jim
\Stand alone boxes and "coupled" dialers are also avaliable.
Go for the KSU.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Ed D

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the recommend.  But what's a hybrid KSU?  And what does it do?

???

Ed

Kenny C

Stub1953 made some boxes for this where you plug the modular end into the box and it has a TT dial so you can use pulse or tone
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

It is an office phone system that can handle single line phones and convert pulse to tone. It also has many extensions foir home intercom or phone testing. It has it own dial tone...
A really cool and practicle toy.
Jim
You live, You learn,

JorgeAmely

www.atcaonline.com used to have an article about this on their site. Perhaps you can ask one of the members if it is still available.
Jorge

Adam

That article is here:

http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html

stub1953 posted it in a thread here about a year ago.

If you don't need to touch tone that often, there's also the alternative illustrated below.  These Radio Shack Pocket Tone Dialers show up on eBay regularly.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Kenny C

He builds these those out of used touch tone pads.
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

Memory dialers also work. you can program each slot as a digit.
just a side angle,
Jim
You live, You learn,

Ed D

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on January 30, 2011, 01:05:51 AM
He builds these those out of used touch tone pads.

Wow, more responses than I had expected!  Thanks guys!

I have looked at the various links, and I think I am leaning toward the TT Pad in a box like stub1953 makes.  I have at least two TT pads available in my "junk pile," one of which is still in a phone I bought that got smashed up in shipping.  A good chance to make "lemonade," no?

While I am relatively new to this hobby, I will likely have questions.  One pops up immediately as it is mentioned in the ATCA article at http://atcaonline.com/ttpad.html  --

"Make sure the pad you use has a diode bridge (polarity guard) so your finished phone won't be polarity sensitive" 

How can you tell if the pad has a polarity guard?  I doubt it has a sticker that says "Polarity Guard  Included!"  ;D

Any help here would be appreciated. 

Thanks, you guys are GREAT!

Ed

Dennis Markham

Ed, there's also Rotatone.  Some people like to put them in their phones to have the best of both worlds.  It can install inside your phone and convert pulses to tone.  I personally don't have one in any of my phones but I have installed a couple for others.  Here is a thread I did about one installation.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2336.0

If you search "Rotatone" at the top of the home page you'll find more threads about them.  For what it's worth......

~Dennis

Ed D

Thanks Dennis!

Wow, another option!  I like this one too.  I have a feeling that I am going to be experimenting with several options over time.

You, and the rest of the folks here TOTALLY ROCK!!!

stub

Ed D ,
          Welcome to the madness ;D  Follow Stan's instructions and you shouldn't have any problems, other than finding a box to put the keypad in.  I have found a few other touch pads that will work if we can identify L-1 , L-2 , R , RR . If you have any problems send a PM and I'll do what I can to help.  Until then - Keep your bells ringing !!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

There ought to be a law that dictates all phone trees use the "press or say #" method that I come across here and there.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e